2g woes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inzo2, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Inzo2

Inzo2 New Member

Been trying for over a week now to restore a friends 2G. Kept getting numerous different error messages (1601,1602,1604, 9, 20 to name just a few). Has a little bit of success today in that I managed to succesfully create a custom IPSW and to pwn it with winpwn 2.5 Beta, got to the "Pwned" boot screen...and then nothing happens, all I get is the Pwned logo and the spinning wheel at the bottom. The same happens when I just use iTunes to restore a non custom IPSW, I just get the Apple logo and the spinning wheel (if I'm lucky) or it just gives me unknown errors mentioned before. It's as if something is stopping the phone booting up

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now, I know little about iPhones, but I'm wondering, is there some kind of software on the iPhone which is similar to the Bios in yr PC, which controls the hardware prior to operating system kicking in? Maybe this is the problem, and if so, can it be fixed?
    Thanks in advance guys....please help me stop myself throwing it against a wall

2. miedwards72

miedwards72 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Just get quickpwn and that will do the trick.
  3. Inzo2

Inzo2 New Member

Quickpwn gives me other problems, cant get that sob to work at all. I posted this on youtube earlier:
    I recently pwned one iphone 2G for a friend, but I now have another which (if i can do it) I can keep.When I open qwkpwn 2.2.1, it will just not see the iphone. Tells me to hold down power and home for 15 secs,then press power for 2 secs. Do I release both then press power, or just release home and keep power pressed for another 2 secs? Also, do I click the "ok" box prior to holding down the buttons, or just press them? No matter what I try, quickpwn either does not see the phone, or it crashes. Tearing my hair out here m8, please help.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Might want to try it on a Mac with Pwnage.

I'm not sure how much different it is but I have had better luck on a Mac than with a PC.
  5. Inzo2

Inzo2 New Member

No access to a Mac I'm afraid, Windows is my only option, either Vista or XP....I've tried both

------------------double post merged------------------
    OK, been fiddling around a bit with it now. Used Ziphone to erase the BL 3.9 baseband. Just done (what I thought) was putting it into dfu mode (connected but nothing on screen, no response to pressing home button). My PC picked up the USB connection (heard the usb connection bong-bing noise), but now iTunes doesnt see it, although device manager does. What should I do now?
    Update:
    Used quickpwn 2.2.1GUI, all seemed to go OK. Got to the restore part (pineapple and spinning wheel) where it stayed for 10-15 minutes, then restarted in restore mode (usb cable and iTunes logo). Used Ziphone to set to normal mode, that took a few minutes, thenn it came up with the tick and said it was finished, but still showed the recovery mode logos on iphone screen. Tried another iTunes restore, progress bar on iPhone is full, but iTunes is hanging in "waiting for iPhone" scrolling bar screen. Dont think theres too much wrong, just cant bloody work it out. iPhone has never been synced on this PC, so there is nothing but the firmware IPSWs for itunes to restore it to.
    HELP

OK, found this on another forum, it seems to be the way to go. But......what if you cant get yr iPhone to boot up normally (like me)? And, will restoring it in iTunes with one of the Apple firmwares work then? Should do, as yr starting with a comlpletely blank canvas with nothing whatsoever on it.
    Basically what I'm asking is....is there a way I can format my iPhone completely, getting rid of every shred of a file when using Windows, and NOT iTunes or the iPhone itself (which I cant do cos it wont come on in normal mode), and, if there is, do I just restore afterwards in iTunes?

OK, here's what I read:

iTunes stuck frozen hangs at Waiting for iPhone
    My iPhone came new from the factory with firmware 1.1.1 and baseband 04.02.13_G. (I've read this wasn't possible but I swear this is how it came. Please don't ask if I modified the phone to this point.)

Whenever I try to downgrade the firmware to 1.0.2 using iTunes, the process hangs at Waiting for iPhone and goes no further.

I have used tools like iBricker and iNdependence to get the phone into DFU mode. I have used the 10-seconds method with the power + home button then only the home button, respectively.

I have tried this on both the PC and Mac exhaustively, uninstalling and re-installing several older versions of iTunes in the process to no avail.

Is there an alternate method of downgrading the firmware without iTunes?

On a further note, I am also unable to downgrade the baseband using SSH. After I chmod +x ieraser, I run ieraser and the terminal hangs at that point and goes not further.

I have searched the forums before asking this and if I have missed something I do apologize: In that case I just need to be pointed in the right direction and I can figure out the rest from there.

P.S. Contrary to my post count, I am not a total noob at this, so please don't assume.

Thanks in advance!
    Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 PM
    What's Jailbreak?

One solution . . .
    I've racked my brains about this for a while [12 hours] and I know alot of you are having these same troubles, especially Windows XP users.

What I've come to realise is that the iPod's data has become corrupted somehow. The only way to get around this is to reformat it. Yes folks, you're gonna have to LOSE ALL YOUR FILES ON THE IPOD.

I was very adamant at first, but if you've exhausted the entire Support Troubleshooting pages and none work... this is the only way.

To DELETE ALL DATA and REFORMAT, do this:

****Make sure the iPod is not connected to PC.

Uninstall iPod and iTunes programs on your PC.

Make sure any non essential system utilities like anti-virus, IE, Firewall, Internet connectivity, MSN, AIM, whatever is OFF.

Make sure any existing iPod and iTunes services are off by CTRL+ALT+DELETE and clicking Processes. End Task 'iTunesHelpers', 'iTunes', 'ipod service'.

On the iPod, press and hold the 'Menu' and 'Centre' buttons for longer than 6 seconds. The Apple Logo will appear.

Then press and hold 'Play Pause' and 'Menu' buttons for longer than 6 seconds to go into 'Disk Mode'

Now plug your iPod into your USB.

Wait for the computer to load profiles, this may take awhile so do not do anything until its finished. It may seem like its hanging but bear with me.

Right Click 'My Computer'> Manage > Disk Management
    You'll see your iPod Volume there. Again it may hang but let it work its magic.

Right click the iPod drive [absolutely make sure it's the iPod and not your PC hard drives!] and click 'Format'

Ignore the 'Volume Label' and 'Allocation unit size'
    Change File system to "FAT 32".

Make sure 'Perform a quick format' and 'Enable file and folder compression' are unticked.

Then click OK.

This may take a long time to reformat on USB 2.0. Roughly an hour.

When the Status is 100%, you will notice in 'My Computer' that you can access the thing and it will not hang or crash.

Eject the iPod.

Now restart the PC.

Install iPod Updater and restart again. Don't install iTunes.

Now plug the iPod back in the PC.

Open the iPod Updater software and it will actually recognise the iPod this time.

Click on 'Update' to update the firmware. This will take 5 minutes, you can see after 2 minutes the Apple logo on the iPod and a progressive bar. YOU MUST NOT DISCONNECT, EJECT, TURN OFF PC, OR CRASH THE IPOD EVER AT THIS POINT OR YOU WILL **** UP ROYALLY.

When the 'Update' is complete, click on 'Restore' to restore it to factory settings. This will take a few mins.

VOILA, YOUR IPOD IS NOW FULLY WORKING AND UPDATED BACK TO HOW IT WAS WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT [IF NOT BETTER]

Now re-install your iTunes or whatever programs and refill it :|

Be wary about what you put on it though, maybe it was something dodgy before that could trigger the fault again.

Good luck

Please help guys, surely SOMEBODY knows the answer

Thanks in advance.
  6. coop777

coop777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    are you able to restore successfully to stock firmware?
  7. Inzo2

Inzo2 New Member

No m8 I'm not

iTunes just hangs with the "waiting for iPhone" progress bar going across, while the iPhone displays the Apple logo with the spinning wheel below it.

I did notice this last night though, while trying to winpwn 2.5 it for the "god only knows how many"th time. It kinda looks like an error in the winpwn progress log (did it in expert):

Unsupported iTunesMobileDevice.dll Version Major cd0007 Minor 13

I have no idea what that means, or what to do about it

Ok, heres another update:
    Tried winpwn 2.5 ing it on my laptop. I even did a complete system Vista reinstall. Just winpwned it, no more of the highlighted error message above. However, now Vista has given me a message saying something along the lines of "Apple Recovery (iboot) USB driver- this program is known to have compatability issues with Windows Vista"...........or something like that. Carried on with the pwning process anyway, but now it's stuck on the "waiting for iPhone" on iTunes, and spinning wheel logo on iPhone stage

I DID get the "Ready to accept custom IPSW" message on the iPhone. So...any suggestions as to what I need to do?
    Come on guys, please help me out here. Surely I'm not the only iPhoner to have experienced this? I think I'm pretty close to beating this problem, but just need that last bit of help

8. coop777

coop777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have yet to have heard of a bricked phone ....but yours could be.
  9. Inzo2

Inzo2 New Member

Well thanks, you've really filled me with hope

But, as far as I'm aware, it's virtually impossible to brick a 2G.
    Like the look of the "Refurbish" option in Ziphone v2.5....anybody know where I can get that? 3.0 doesnt have it

10. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I believe I've got it floating around....PM me if you need it and we'll go from there.