2g Wifi signal meter strangeness

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrdurden, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mrdurden

mrdurden New Member

I just purchased a 32gb 2g touch, and even though i can connect via Wifi with no apparent problems, the signal meter always acts erratically. For instance, when i search for signals, even if the router is like 10 feet away from me, it will register 1 bar, but when I connect, it jumps up to 3 bars, after a while of use, it sometimes drops down to 1 bar again, and suddenly back up to 3. Also, if im far from the router, but still conected I generally get 3 Bars, and when i get to far, it goes from 3 to none (disconect), in other words it doesent seem to be giving me an accurate signal reading. BUT, the signal itself doesent seem to be afected, as i can connect and surf with no problem (ive only had it for 4 days, so i still need to test it some more), the anomaly i see is only in the signal meter. Ive had this happen in my house and at my girlfriends house (so i dont think its my router). I already did a network reset and it has continued
    Is anyone else getting this?
    Could this be software or hardware related?

Thanks and sorry for the long post
  2. quick5pnt0

quick5pnt0 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There are a lot of weird things going on with the wifi with the 2g, sounds like yours is yet another bug. Hopefully Apple will publish an update to fix the majority of them in the near future.
  3. Apple Freak

Apple Freak Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, I thought every iPod touches are like that, even the 1G!
    When I searched for signals, it showed 1 bar when I'm not connected. BUT after I connected it, it goes up to 3 bars. Right after I viewed some web pages with Safari, it goes down to 1 bar again. I think this is normal, because even on a computer, when you first connects to a AP it will always shows fall bar. After a while it would not.

Well, that's my experience
  4. thehacker123

thehacker123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea I have the same ipod touch, and the same issue. When i use WiFinder it show a signal strength of 3(out of 100, i think) I can connect (the wifi settings wont see it) but when i connect the signal bars are full, and as i slowly back up they stay full until it disconnects, very annoying, they should also increase the sensitivity of the wifi setings detector, and add a refresh button
  5. gurusidhu

gurusidhu New Member

I have no Problems Like that mine is smooth no WIFI problem and for ur info every thing in this worl have the same problem bcoz when u coonect it to wifi it shows 3 bars bcoz at that movement it concentrates on ur ipod to get the information abt u'r ipod then it goes to its original state as shown before it happens even in laptops
  6. mrdurden

mrdurden New Member

well, it seems that apple is getting allot of complaints about wifi issues with the 2g:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1703504&start=0&tstart=0

But more in relation to WPA and router compatibility. In any case, I see im not the only one with this strange signal meter behavior (thanks for the replies) I'm just wondering if the inaccuracy of the wifi signal meter on the touch is hardware or software related (hopefully correctable through a firmware update), since i just bought it, if it is hardware related i could theoretically go and get it replaced (although i really dont like trying to convince the apple employees about the defectiveness of an item). I dont know, i mean i can connect, its just the signal meter thats the problem, maybe im being picky, but i did shell out allot of dough for this piece of technology.
  7. Strygwr

Strygwr New Member

my wifi runs very smoothly no matter where it is...I think its like a 35% chance your 2g hardware has a problem.
  8. andrew!

andrew! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have the new 8gb touch and the wifi is fine on mine. I have WEP so that might be that
  9. Wise Old Owl

Wise Old Owl New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry to bring back this thread, but I was wondering if there is an App available to measure Wifi strength better than the built in meter?
  10. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Change the channel that the router is running on even thou there are 1 -13 channels in the 2.4Gig spectrum there are really only 3 since other overlap with eachother.

So channels 1 6 and 11 are best.

Best thing to do is download netstumbler and see what other SSID's are being broadcast and on which channels. Then change you channel to something that isnt being used.

Remember anything from a car alarm to a flickering light can give of interference in the 2.4gig spectrum ( G Radio)