2G Touch; Would it work for me better than a cell phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noise..., Mar 18, 2009.

1. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok. For most people, VoIP on a wi-fi only device wouldn't work. However, I rarely talk on the phone. I usually only need to make a call either at home (where I have wi-fi), or when I'm in town, where I can usually find a wi-fi signal.

My area doesn't have AT&T, so no iPhone possibilities unless I try to buy one for some obscene inflated price and unlock it. Even then, I still need a data plan, which is pretty damn expensive - especially when I would rarely use the phone on it.

Would a 2G with the upgraded headphones be a good option for me as an alternative to a phone? I'd just use a VoIP service instead.

I have a 1G now, so I could probably sell it or do a partial trade for a 2G so that I only need to spend a few bucks, plus the cost of the headphones.

What do you guys think?
  2. eric780

eric780 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well for one thing, it'd be pretty complicated to set it up to receive calls from other people. I think if you only need to call others, you should be fine.
  3. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Would I receive calls if I have the VoIP app on when in wi-fi service?
  4. wSYayo

wSYayo New Member

i dont think you can have in-coming free calls, most VoIP apps if not all make you pre-pay minutes to call in, but you def. can call out
  5. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hm. So, basically calling out might be free, but if I were to get an incoming call, I'd get charged?
  6. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    what if he/she got siphon?
  7. michaelsipod

michaelsipod New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  8. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i k like that would be sick like using my ipod as my phone i have fring with VoIp buster but it like rarely gets a call to go through

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Human Shield

Human Shield New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Fring + VoIPCheap works out pretty good, they offer 300 minutes/week, and the quality is pretty decent. There's microphones out there that can plug into the headphone jack. I got one for $15 that has an extension so you can plug in your headphones to them. It has some clips on it to attach the two chords together.
    There's a delay when you talk over VoIPCheap, but it takes about as long to connect as with a cell phone.
    So far I haven't been charged anything, so try that out.
  10. austindoggie

austindoggie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No I bought the iPhone headphones with remote and mic from radioshack and they are the best headphones I have ever bought. Don't go for cheap knock offs, get the real thing. Plus radioshack gave me a 1 year warranty on them for just 6 dollars so I know these will last me a long time. The headphones themselves were $30.