2g touch no sound out of belkin tunesync, possible hardware hack?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cannedchaos, Jan 18, 2009.

1. cannedchaos

cannedchaos New Member

Hi!

I have the 8gig ipod touch 2g and recently bought the (pretty ancient) belkin tunesync ipod dock/ USB hub.
    Now the dock will not charge or feed audio through the dock's stereo jack. It only charges when connected to a computer via USB.

I disassembled the dock and referring to pinouts found online found the situation a tad too complicated for a simple hardware hack ) I though a resistor on pin 21 - the accessory indicator pin - might need changing to enable audio out.
    Unfortunately, it turns out this pin is connected all sorts of places on the tunesync and I don't even know where to begin. (If anyone wants to assist me with their expertise, I'll happily take the dock apart, provide high res pics, trace the connections...).
    Also, looking at the dock, it seems it does actually charge via USB and not firewire pins. (For anyone unfamiliar: with the touch 2g and iphone 3g, apple changed the charging method to no longer accept charging through firewire pins, which rendered a LOT of old accessories obsolete) It must not feed a voltage to the USB data pins as required by the new ipods. What a ridiculous requirement!
    My friend's 1g touch both charges and outputs sound.

This leaves me thinking - seeing as jailbroken apps were able to hack microphone support into the 1st gen touch, would it be possible that a software mod could remove the charger and dock checks the 2g touch performs? I looked everywhere for info (the iphone 3g is the same for accessory compatibility, I though someone might have hacked that), but couldn't find any info. What do you guys think?
  2. techb0y

techb0y New Member

Sound out from Belkin TuneSync 5port

Hello, the thread was a bit of old, but I bought a same Tunesync and my audio out didn't work on my 2nd Generation Ipod Touch.

I research a lot and can't find any info for this Tunesync. If cannedchaos is already with no solution, I'm starting to think to open the docking station and rearrange pins like cannedchaos says.

I found the ipod pin documentation http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

If someone has the same no audio problem type here to courage me start digging in the dock.

I'm an technician so I'm curious to jump into it.

Please Register or Log in to view images