2G pretty retarded picture viewer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sergio 2G, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sergio 2G

Sergio 2G New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've had the 2nd gen Ipod (15gb) and a 4th gen (80gb) before receiving this 2G touch from my Gf.

I only used the Ipod for music but it's clear that the Touch can do much more.
    It's not jailbroken and runs just fine.
    The touch interface is just perfect and i have had no comments untill today.

At work we have a laptop that contains 1000's of pics that helps us to recognise machinery parts. It's a simple database that simply consists of named folders that contain several subfolders and all these folders contain pictures.

To get the picture a simplified scheme:

Machinery --- Brand 1 --- Engine parts -- bearings
    --- Brand 2 --- Engine parts -- bearings
    --- Brand 3 --- Engine parts -- bearings
    ETC

Now, i thought it would be a great idea to put the pics in the ipod since i could acces them at any time without booting a laptop and save time.

Well, i noticed that the photoviewer in the Ipod can only show pictures in Albums and they are all stacked in 1 long list, there is no 'depth' in which you can select an album that represents a main selection and from there being shown the lower folders that belong to that specific main selection.
    Making it nearly impossible to manage since you don't have a Tree structure and always shows all Albums and not the ones that matter (depending on selection).
    In other words, the actuall use of folders and subfolder to keep files organised are now all put in 1 list at best and if you have several sub folders in 1 folders all the combined pictures (from all those sub folders) are put into 1 album.

I feel like i timetravelled into the 80's and the once so advanced Ipod feels extremely retarded in this department. I could do this on any ol' Windows Mobile smartphone i ever owned and now in 2009/2010(almost) i'm limited to a 'playlist' that shows ALL folders(albums) in 1 long row.

Also, i noticed that while synchronising (transporting from PC to Ipod) it's not possible to select several Folders from different paths without removing the other one. It's like I tunes wants them all to be in 1 huge folder and you can select from there.

Anybody ??

I'm growing tired of I-tunes anyway since i had data being removed and the endless Data backup is starting to bore me.

Any tips for an alternative ?

I don't mind Jailbreaking or whatever other method since i'm tired of all these regulations and overprotectiveness.

Terribly dissapointed,

Sergio 2G
  2. HckrSvn

HckrSvn Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I agree with you about the photo viewing
  3. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hate it when people use the word "retarded" like that, some people may find it offensive.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    To solve your problem you could download iComic from the appstore (99 cents), zip up your photos into books and add them under the folder structure you mentioned - building this structure using iFunBox under the Raw File System -> Photos/iComic directory. iComic supports 2 levels of folders. However eachj set of your photos will then be in an ebook format and you won't have 'thumbnails' of each image.
  6. Sergio 2G

Sergio 2G New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the suggestion but that's too much of a hassle and really ridiculous for such a device in this day and age.
    I don't think that a normal tree structure with folders and subfolders is too much too ask.

I have already send this suggestion to Apple as an improvement for the next FW.
  7. 00Svo

00Svo Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, its apple. Dont expect too much. They tend to be assholes.