2G jailbreak - idea

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alexJD, Dec 12, 2008.

1. alexJD

alexJD New Member

I am a complete noob at stuff like jailbreaking, as my 2g is my first apple product, but i was thinking. Why cant the jailbreaking people go down the psp route and make a custom firmware instead of trying to crack the current one. Asin use the other firmwares to make a new, sort of jailbroken one, and then flash it (or however you get firmware onto an ipod touch) to the ipod? just wondering.
  2. beebop

beebop New Member

I think you need iTunes to apply the firmware and it won't accept hacked ones...

i Also thought, why not get the sdk, port over cydia, get the .app you get from a final build then post it up here so when downloaded, iTunes recognizes it like it's real and then get it on your ipod?????
  3. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Unsigned code is automatically killed by the OS. This means that you could get Cydia to install, but any applications it spawned would be killed immediately because they're not signed.

Also, Cydia won't have access to the root file system, since it'll be limited by the security on the iPhone OS.
  4. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hmmm, what about if you made it connect via usb and then do this CFW stuff, then get a prog to edit the cydia files?
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The firmware is signed, and the iPod touch verifies the signature before it can be installed. This is why the iPhone and iPod touch has to be pwned in order to accept custom firmware.

The iPod touch 2nd gen hasn't been pwned, so you can't install custom firmwares since they're not signed.
  6. beebop

beebop New Member

If you mean custom firmware by CFW, then i don't think the touch would accept it, as meikura said, it can't be verified
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This is what pwnage tool and quickpwn sorta do. The ipod will not except any FW other then apple signed through itunes FW.

In order to apply a custom FW an exploit needs to be found to make the ipod except the FW.

Edit: You guys type faster then me! LOL!
  8. alexJD

alexJD New Member

I get it

Ok thanks for the replys guys

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. King Chronic

King Chronic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    to clear up some confusion, the firmware is not signature checked by iTunes. Apple is smart and knows better than to do that. all checks are done on the device, where Apple knows that you cannot normally execute unsigned code or modify their code.