2G Iphone and bootloader question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wardy, Jul 13, 2008.

1. wardy

wardy New Member

Hello all, i have done a search and not found any definate usefull information.

I recently got a old iphone and i used Iliberty to unlock, jailbreak and activiate it. I did'nt want to use Ziphone due to the bootloader problem. I didn't understand much about it but i thought i'd go with what your tips, guides etc say. However in my rush i thought i clicked the tab which stops the bootloader being downgraded and clicked "go for it" i immediatly realised that i didnt click it but didn't want to stop the process incase it messed up my iphone.

Anyway everything works fine on the iphone but i was wondering if there is any other problems with having bootloader 3.9? such as upgrading to 2.0 when it can be succesfully unlocked?

Also in my research i found a programme called bootneuter. Am i correct in thinking that this programme will upgrade my bootloader to 4.6 again? If so what things do i need to look out for and can i do this straight away?

Thanks for your help, yet again, in this.
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Bootnueter will get it back to what it should be. Im not sure what effect it will have on 2.0. I know they did not change the bootloader in 2.0 but the baseband was changed. Its always better to keep the original bootloader.

You can download bootneurter from installer or cydia. its on the bigboss repo. heres a guide

http://wikee.iphwn.org/sgold_bootrom:bootneuter

you basically want it to look like the screenshot then hit flash. when your done hide it with poof or uninstall it so no one accidently messes with it. also before you open bootnuerter make sure you hae auto lock set to never just in cases.
  3. wardy

wardy New Member

Hi thanks for the reply and the information. Will bootneuter erase the information on my iphone or anything like that? also what are the chances that is will mess up the iphone and i won't be able to use it ever again?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Hi

Just another quick point to raise before i do something that could kill my iphone. I have uploaded bootneuter and it has determined my settings. This is what i have

Version:3.9
    Neuter: Off
    FakeBlank: On
    Unlock: On

am i correct in thinking i did use Ilibery correctly? as in it did downgrade the bootloader from 4.6 to 3.9FakeBlank? therefore if i restore the ipod it will have bootloader 4.6 and i didnt mess up at all?

Sorry for all the questions i don't want to tap flash and then regret it lol.

One final thing. Would it be better for me to tap
    version: 4.6,
    neuter: on
    fakebank: off,
    unlock: on?

if so why?
    Another thing i have just found out, sorry for reposting, when i look at my iphone modem firmware it says 04.04.05_G. I liberty says that if i use fake bank my baseband will be this series of digits, If i don't use it it will be 04.02.13_G.

I'm putting 2 and 2 together and guessing i used Iliberty correct and ticked that box so my bootloader isn't perminantly downgraded like when you use Ziphone etc and upgrading to 2.0 will be fine, when its unlockable.

Just need to someone to confirm or not.

Cheers all
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    bootneuter will not erase any info that I know of.

This is correct

version: 4.6,
    neuter: on
    fakebank: off,
    unlock: on

And you used it correctly iliberty will do no permanent damage. All unlocks have there risks. But bootneurter is definitely the safest. If your phone is working I think you should leave it the way it is until a 2.0 unlock is released. But if you want your phone to have the correct bootloader just in case something should go wrong use bootneuter to get back to 4.6.

I personally feel safer at 4.6 because I have heard that apple can tell what bootloader your phone is on and if you ever have to return it or send it away for service they will know its been tampered with and void your warranty.
  5. wardy

wardy New Member

Thats brilliant, thank you so much. One final thing. If i set up bootneuter will it erase my iphones settings, music, photos etc, or will it be like normal afterwards? Just so i know to make a back up etc
    Sorry i just realised thatr your answered this question. Thanks again for your help. its very much appreciated.

Edit: Just to let you know i did all of the above and it worked find. Only took about 15 seconds to flash as well.

Thanks for all the help. Very much appreciated