iOS 3.1 2G Confusion

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by DrBroccoli, Oct 3, 2009.

1. DrBroccoli

DrBroccoli New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I am a little bit confused at this point. I spent quite a few hours last night trying to jailbreak my 2G Touch.

When it says the PwnageTool supports the 3.1 firmware... well let me just explain my problems:

When the official 3.1 update came out, I updated (oops), and lost my jailbreak. No biggie, i was enjoying the Genius Mixes and what not, but eventually I missed all my JB apps. Then I found out I was stuck, until yesterday when I saw PwnageTool 3.13 was released!

So excitedly, I downloaded it, made the custom firmware and tried to restore it on my iPod, but I was always met with 1600 or 1604 errors.

After doing some reading, it is my understanding I need to start with a 3.0 2G and then run the restore with the custom firmware. The part that confuses me is how can a custom firmware created with the 3.0 firmware upgrade the iPod to 3.1? Or does it use the downloaded 3.1 firmware in my iTunes folder to upgrade the 3.0 to 3.1 (JB'd)?

So... all in all, let me see if I have this correct:

1. I need to downgrade my touch to 3.0 (how?)
    2. I need to jailbreak 3.0
    3. I need to use PwnageTool to create a custom 3.1 firmware
    4. I need to restore with the custom firmware (DFU, regular or recovery mode?)
    5. ...
    6. Enjoy a jailbroken 3.1?
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    First, downgrade your iTunes to iTunes 8.2 or else you can't restore to 3.0 Once you have iTunes 8.2, put your iPod into DFU Mode and restore to a 3.0 firmware. After that, you have to use redsn0w to jailbreak your iPod.

To use the custom 3.1 firmware, your iPod must be on a jailbroken 3.0 firmware. You have to put it into recovery mode first then restore to the pwnagetool firmware.
  3. DrBroccoli

DrBroccoli New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alrighty... after I restore it to 3.0 and jailbreak that, do I want to put the custom firmware on with iTunes 8.2 or 9, or does it not matter?
  4. boomerang42

boomerang42 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Where can I download iTunes 8.2, I can't find it anywhere. When I try to downgrade to 3.0 with iTunes 8.2, it doesn't let me.

Also, I have the same exact problem as you, DrBorccoli.