2g: broken headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gipson, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Gipson

Gipson New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok. so i feel like a big noob right now. i bought my 2nd gen ipod touch from a friend today and have been reading and bookmarking various stuff for the 2g for the past few weeks in anticipation.

so i get it today and i try to plug in my headphones and none of them fit. i look in and see the white ring and gold tips on the outer edge (i know what they're for) but nothing surrounding the white ring to actually hold in the headphone jack? so whenever i push in my headphones its like pin pushing against pin. it doesn't stay. i can get the headphone jack about 1/3-1/2 (depending on the jack) in before it pushes against the ring and that's it. nothing to hold the headphone jack in place.

i've even tried the little adapter that comes with the Rebeltouch and still the same. do i have to take it into the apple store? would they be able to replace my ipod right then and there? i hope it doesn't have to come that because i've already put on my BSE...

thx in advance. i'll try to put up pics later if i have to.
  2. m3ntoz

m3ntoz New Member

my friend, i think you got ripped off. those are some good friends ya got there.
  3. Gipson

Gipson New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    can anyone offer up a high-res close up shot of their 2g headphone jack (obviously w/o the headphones in)? i need something to compare mine to. i'll try to take a shot of mine soon.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    post a pic of yours so we can tell you what's wrong...
  5. Gipson

Gipson New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    here is a a closeup i tried at. you can see the white ring which is a few centimeters in. it doesn't fill up the entire space down there and i can wiggle it around with a toothpick.

i'll try to up some more shots later.
  6. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I guess one option is to book an appointment at the Genius Bar, and they can diagnose the problem. [http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/] Fairview Mall Apple Store (saw you're from Toronto) is the best place to go; went there, they helped a lot with my brother's iPod touch problem.
  7. Gipson

Gipson New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    would they be able to replace my ipod right then and there if they had to? i don't mind losing my BSE if thats possible, i guess.
  8. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, it should be covered under warranty.
  9. Gipson

Gipson New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    alright, so there was an actual broken tip of a headphone still lodged in there. thats what it was.

i had to flatten an end of a toothpick, carefully krazy glue the flat end to the broken piece and it came out altogether. i was pleasantly surprised.

thanks all for the help.