2g battery test reference

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrdurden, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mrdurden

mrdurden New Member

ok, so i just finished testing battery life on my 2g and the results where the following:

Music+browsing to select songs: 36:05
    Video: 5:35
    Wifi (refreshing forum page every 30 seconds or so): 3:45
    Games (Koi pond and like 15 minutes of Tap Tap revenge): 3:05

*Brightness at %70 and wifi off (except on wifi test of course), push and location also off.

So in my opinion; it does great with music (which is what i bought it for), average with video and not so great with games and wifi, but i don't think its that bad if used in moderation.

Hope this reference is helpful to someone

Adrian D
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    That's pretty good battery life, considering the backlight was on so high. I keep mine no higher than 25%, usually at 10%.
  3. Apizao118

Apizao118 New Member

Hey man, I appreciate you doing this

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've tested the music, and got slightly less but very close nonetheless. Haven't tested the video and wifi yet, but how much do you think backlight actually affects it?
  4. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    backlight actually affects alot

test it out and you'll see
  5. JazziePhay77

JazziePhay77 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That's sorta what I imagined it to be. I thought the batterey life when browsing interenet would be a little better and music only is a lot longer then I thought. Thanks for running this test for us!
  6. viper3885

viper3885 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Screen brightness does affect the battery by a pretty decent amount. I left my screen at the default brightness with auto brightness on. I got 6 hours and 35 minutes of video playback, and that was also with wi-fi set on.
  7. iLuviPodTouch

iLuviPodTouch New Member

Which iPod Touch did you get? 16 GB? I just purchased a 16GB this weekend. Yesterday, starting with my iPod fully charged, I listened to some songs on the way home, played with some games (15 minutes if any), watched a video (15 minutes if any) and then I kept my iPod on standby (as opposed to completely off) with my Wi-Fi enabled. By the evening, I couldn't even go to turn my iPod on and I had to hold down the top button with my Home button to get it back on. Once I did, the entire battery was at 0%. What do you think happened? Should I turn my iPod completely off when not in use?
  8. Spd2Last

Spd2Last Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thank you...

I had been waiting for any review of the 2G's battery life. Now because of you, I'll most likely be purchasing the Touch.
  9. Rekil Goth

Rekil Goth New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch

I'm not sure if that is normal, however, my story might be worth considering while yours is still new. I tested how long my 32g 2G touch would play music and found that it was at 10% battery after 4 hours, starting from a full charge. This was with wifi off and screen brightness at 50%. I was getting maybe 1.5 hrs video playback. So, I contacted Apple and told them the problem. Originally, they tried to resist helping me, but when I got through to the technician, she immediately offered to service it. Long story short, turns out it was defective and they sent me a new one.

You might want to double check your battery life. If it is defective, my suggestion is send it in now while Apple is exchanging for new touches as opposed to refurbished ones. The other option is take it back to the point of purchase and exchange it. Your choice.

Hope this helps.
  10. JAD

JAD New Member

iLuviPodTouch, I'm going to guess it was the "wifi enabled" part that sucked up the power. The wifi sucks more power than anything else. The rest of the time standby is fine; it doesn't drain that fast on standby. Unless you're out in the woods for a couple days and can't recharge, in which case, off instead of standby is probably better.