2g battery issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBTOUCH, Nov 22, 2009.

1. CBTOUCH

CBTOUCH New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My 8gb 2g iphone seems to be ruuning out of battery life rather quickly. It's been unlocked and jailbroken and is running 3.1.2. Its only got sbsetting, cydia, winterboard and ibluetooth on it, but i'm still having to charge it everyday???

Example:

Was put on charge friday night, took it off charge at 11:00am saturday morning (100% fully charged), went out straight to paintball with afew mates and left the phone in sleep mode in my bag. Took it out of my bag at 6:00pm saturday night. Rode around to my mates and used it to listen to music on the way around (a 15 minute ride). Then it was left in sleep mode until 2:00am sunday morning when i left my mates (again used it for 15minutes to listen to music).

At 2:15am, the battery life was at 38%?? I left it in sleep mode and it is now 4.15pm (sunday) and it is currently on 22%.

So.... from 11am saturday (100%) it dropped to (38%) by 2:15am sunday morning (15 hours!!!) and i only using it to listern to music for a total of 30minutes?? (THAT WAS ALL I USED IT FOR BETWEEN THOSE HOURS. DIDNT EVEN MAKE/RECEIVE ANY CALLS)

Surely this cant be right???

I've always turned most things off (wifi, bluetooth, location, lowered brightness, autolock to 1 minute)....
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Not honestly sure: Your battery could be going bad.
  3. CBTOUCH

CBTOUCH New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

That's not good. Only had it a week. I suppose that's what you get for buying secondhand!!

How much would it cost to have a new battery fitted? Just had alook on the internet and they dont seem to cost alot (the actual battery), but i suppose it isnt going to be cheap to have it fitted. I've just found a shop near me thats an 'authorised apple service provider'. May have to give them a call in the morning

4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Like you've noticed the battery itself is cheap.

You can change it yourself if you feel like you can (some work involved). There is a good tutorial here.
  5. Supertouch

Supertouch Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It may be the battery's time. Follow his instructions.
  6. Shukketsu.Azuguad

Shukketsu.Azuguad Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    My iphone's battery sucks. Same generation, and secondhand as well. I charge it between once and twice a day, or more. But I'm running 3d games, texting and such.
  7. CBTOUCH

CBTOUCH New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    As much as thats a great guide, i wouldnt put my dodgy soldering skills to practice on my iphone!

I've been in touch with my local store and they can only send it off the apple themselves. Might have to just live with it until january and then pay apple the £55+£7(del) to fix it.

Could this only be a hardware issue?? Is there anyway of it being software?? I've been tempted to completely restore the phone, but as i bought it pre unlocked and jailbroken i'm abit weary of restoring it and then having problems jailbreaking and unlocking it again

------------------double post merged------------------
    Right......After alittle searching on the internet, i've read that battery drain seems to be a common issue since the update. Also read that the issue has cured after a restore (only going on other users comments)

SOooooo......I've just done a full restore through itunes. Everything loaded as normal and then i've just used blackra1n rc3 to jailbreak (suprised it worked first time!). Also have reapplied cydia.

Now.....Does blackra1n also unlock the 2g iphone??? I though i heard somewhere that it didnt, and bootneuter was needed for the unlock??. I'm only asking because i've just gone into settings/carrier and O2,Voda,Orange,T-mobile are all showing??

Right gonna put it on charge and see how long i get once at 100%

Just a quick update.......

Took it off charge at 9:30 this morning (100% fully charged). Now 5 hours later (Used it alot this morning for calls. More than i have been using it) it still has ALL bars on the battery meter (cant give an exact percentage as i havent installed sbsettings this time)

Last week:

Lost 62% battery life in 15hours with only 30minutes of music use (rest of the time it was in sleep mode!). Weak network signal (sometimes NO SIGNAL at all). Slow opening apps.

NOW:

Still a full battery after 5 hours (even after a ton of use this morning). Not lost signal once yet and the overall phone seems ALOT quicker.

SO FAR SO GOOD

Will update again on the 15th hour.........
    Try a full restore mate.
    UPDATE:....

8.5 hours, STILL a full battery. Looking as though the restore cured my battery issue, fingers crossed

8. Shukketsu.Azuguad

Shukketsu.Azuguad Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Mmm, I still believe the battery issue is there. I was using my first gen ipod touch, it said it had 55% of battery power when I unlocked it. I got in, turned wifi on, and immediately my battery went to 13%. Obviously that isn't an iphone 2g, but it could happen. My iphone keeps a good charge when I'm not playing 3d games, connected to wifi, and texting at the same time. Only need to charge the iphone once every two days if I'm just texting.
  9. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Blackra1n is only for the jailbreak. Blacksn0w is Geohot's unlock (similar to Ultrasn0w) and neither will work on the 2G. You are correct about bootneuter; you'll have to run it to unlock it.
  10. CBTOUCH

CBTOUCH New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    36 hours and still have half the battery left. A DEFINATE fix!!

I'm abit confused about the unlock?

I've only restored with itunes, and then jailbroke with blackra1n RC3, but the iphones fully unlocked??