222.6 Mb ??

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by kendal, Jul 12, 2008.

1. kendal

kendal New Member

I understand why it is so big, but for those of us who live in areas where DSL is not possible, downloading this beast seems next to impossible.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I was online for 12 hours last night. (at least my Mac mini was.) I had 76 MB downloaded when I got a phone call that threw me offline. Itunes took the download all the way back to 0. I tried again while we were away from home today. We got home to see that there was an unexplained error, and again, I was back at 0.

Has anyone else been able to reasonably upgrade while on dial up??? It would be doable if I could do 12 hour chunks each night until it was done. If I sign in to itunes on another computer with wifi, could I download it then transfer it to my home computer? Or can I have my ipod on two or three computers? (home, laptop, work)

Thanks if you can help. (Please don't flame me because I have questions or am stuck with dial up; this forum seems to have some pretty vicious people mixed in with the helpful touch fans of wisdom and knowledge.

)
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i think you could sign in to a different computer then transfer it, but i'm not sure
  3. ThatWasOffTheHook

ThatWasOffTheHook New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    there is no way to download in chunks or parts without in the end having a corrupted file, i dont think its even possible to put them back together when its done, so yeah i suggest going to a friends house with Highespeed wireless or sumthing, then putting it on a Flash Drive, and then transfering to your computer. Good luck
  4. kendal

kendal New Member

I'm trying again tonight. If it doesn't work, I may have to try going to another computer and transferring it. My laptop doesn't have itunes, so I'll have to first download that. Also it isn't a mac. That shouldn't make a difference since it is ultimately for the ipod. (I hope.)

I love where I live, but I would really like to get some fiber optic cable in the local phone lines!
  5. soccerpro100cn

soccerpro100cn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    u have no dsl or cable? where the heck do u live??
  6. kendal

kendal New Member

So logging into itunes on another computer will give the same access rights? Couldn't one person then download their update and share it with everyone they know or is the access just controlled through the itunes portal when you plug in the pod?

Maybe I should just shut it down for the evening and try it elsewhere tomorrow. Blehhh
  7. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    that really suck. maybe they can update it at the apple store. but if you don't have DSL connection where you live I doubt you have an apple store close.

in your case i would go for the leaked firmware on internet. it is as stable as the official one and if you use some download software you can pause and restart your download.
  8. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Maybe you shouldn't have even bothered to buy an iPod touch, since you don't meet the iTunes system recommendations..
  9. newdude

newdude New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can just use a different computer, and then flash. You can see that file on documents > appdata > roaming > > apple computer > iTunes > iPod software updates. that's where mine is on Vista.
  10. kendal

kendal New Member

LOL The rolling hills of southern Ohio....and in answer to the other response, we don't have any Apple stores close by either. There is one about 70 miles away.

Satellite would be an option, but not really worth the added expense.

My download window now says " 29 hours remaining." I don't think this is happening here.