2010 Macbook Pro upgrade? and one problem

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Harry Goldfarb, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Harry Goldfarb

Harry Goldfarb New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    K so has anyone heard an official release date of the updates, or if it was actually all bullsh*t it was rumored to be happening very soon! Im wanting to upgrade from my macbook to the 17 Macbook Pro

Please Register or Log in to view images

the big one. I will get the 3.06GHz (hopefully quad core i7) processor as well.

Also one more thing has anyone had problems with windows 7 in bootcamp, i know its not officially released so don't comment about that but i figured it out and have everything working. There is one problem windows 7 seems to randomly put itself into sleep, and at times shut all the way down (i suspect from overheating)... if you know of a way to fix this that would be great thx
  2. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If they stuck a 3.06 GHz Quad core in a MacBook, your lap/desk would melt.

If your windows is overheating, download smcfancontrol for Mac, then max out the fans and restart into your Boot Camp partition. Don't shut down or the SMC chip will reset the values.
  3. Harry Goldfarb

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yea im not sure that it would be 3.06GHz but i do think they are / should be putting quad core i7 in the pro
  4. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    There are only 5 decent quad core mobile processors:
    Intel Core i7 speeds 1.60 GHz, 1.73 GHz, and 2.00 GHz with max turbo frequencies 2.8 Ghz, 3.06 GHz, 3.2 GHz (Turbo mode only clocks one core at a time to the max, not all 4).

Also intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 2.53 GHz Quad Core 12mb cache.
    And Intel Core 2 Quad 2.00 GHz

I think they will go with the 1.73 Ghz i7 or the 2.53 GHz Core 2 Extreme...
  5. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i5 MORE LIKELY
  6. Harry Goldfarb

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    they will put the i5 in most of the macbook pros ... but i think in the 17 inch they will put the i7
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @ Harry Goldfarb
    Considering the size/thin of the macbook pro i dont think a quad core is possible (yet)

In my opinion the 17 inch models will have a very high clocked i5 processor
  8. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    It's thin but not small by any means. The laptop (17 inch) is enormous. It's sheer size kills it's portability.

I think they will add an i7-620M (2.66 GHz dual core i7) to middle and high end models and if we get lucky, a quad core in the 17 inch.

The MacBook CPUs are fine as dual core. I want a major GPU overhaul. The 9600 GT is decent, but not that great. Anything below an ATi Radeon HD 4650 is unnacceptable from Apple. I think it will get a GeForce Gt 335M/or 330M with nVidia optimus with Intel HD graphics. But I want a 9800 GTS or a GTX 240M or a 9600M GT SLI.

What's faster? An i7-920xm 2.00 GHz max turbo 3.2 GHz 8 mb cache or a Core 2 Extreme 2.53 GHz 12 mb cache not turbo or hyperthreading?
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    the i7 is faster because of innovative architecture blah.. blah.. etc. there are many benchmarks the show i7 cpu are even 50x faster that previous extreme core processors

2nd it though dual cores were called i5 and not i7 (i7 is only for the quad cores"

i think most will have i5 cpus, i am not sure about the quad i7 but maybe.. the thing is that, like you said macbooks are doing fine with dual core

sli 250gtx would be nice...
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    i5 on lower models. One mobile i7 processor is actually a dual core. Def not going to SLI on a mobile platform.