2004 Nissan 350z

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by djricekcn, Oct 1, 2007.

1. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

Hey there,

I was wondering what is the best option to get the best clarity out of my iPod (besides the obvious file formats) for my 350z. Will it be getting in Auxiliary port addition? If so, which ones are recommended?

I'm planning to use this for iPod Touch and iPod Shuffle (the clip one)
  2. TheH

TheH New Member

Ipod Adapter

You have the stock stereo? or a custom one, I know for some cars like (BMW) etc, they sell kits for stereos that don't have ipod docking options..

They sell them for custom stereos 2. This way you can custom put the dock connector where ever you want in the car and connect the ipod to it. This is the best possible sound you can get.

Now if this is not an option for your car then an stereo with aux will be also very good, much much better than an FM transmitter, still analog cuz your using the output for your earbuds, compare to the dock connection that is digital, but it should be the same in sound quality.

And actually I did a search for an ipod adapter for your car and this is what I found: http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/IPod_with_350Z_Bose_Sound_System
  3. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

Thanks for the reply

1)My 350Z is the stock one with the Bose system (stock) 2004. I think it was Touring model (can't really remember)

2)How or where will iPods (Shuffle and Touch) send out Digital Signal? I thought they only had an analog (earphone) connection for sounds?

3)That page doesn't load for me some reason (found that site before I made the first posting) but isn't that analog connector?

Well, I would really like the best quality possible I can get, hopefully being able to use both Shuffle and Touch (if not just Touch is fine, but maybe ones that come with an auxiliary pot for Shuffle and Digital for Touch)

Just to clarify what I want
    1)Best possible quality I can get out of Shuffle and Touch, if both can't be done at least the Touch but both would be more helpful

2)Being able to take it off and on (the iPod). basically on the sound system while in the car, off with me portably when not in the car

3)And of course, reliability of the product

I really appreciate your time for helping me out.
  4. TheH

TheH New Member

Sure man, not a problem!

The digital connection it's the dock one (proprietary apple one) the one on the buttom where you charge your unit, that one can be use to play back sound 2.

This is the fancy way of playing back music on a car, cuz you just dock it and there your go, undock and leave. No need to connect cables and stuff.. and it's 100% digital.
    In my case I haven't got the dock adapter for my stereo (JVC) it's like 50 bucks,
    so for now I've been using the aux on my stereo, meaning I have a cable that goes from the front of my stereo all the way to the headphones jack is on my ipod. this sucks, cuz of the cable, audio is perfect, but the cable there sucks.

So just get a (docking) adapter for your stereo, it will be digital, best quality possible and from what that website says, it's made for your car.

Here is what you need: http://www4.shopping.com/xPC-USA_Sp...ver_Ipod_Interface_Additional_Auxiliary_Input
    http://www.google.com/search?q=USA ...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here's a copy paste from the website you can't get:

Please Register or Log in to view images

========================================================
    With this interface installed you can input the audio from any single auxiliary source (Sat radio, DVD Player, MP3 Player etc) directly into the radio without using an FM Modulator. The PA11-NIS is also an iPod interface and as such it will charge and control iPod products using the radio buttons and/or the iPod clickwheel. iPod controlling choices are: Direct Mode and Playlist Mode. When the PA11-NIS is set to Direct mode you can track up, track down, FF, REW using the radio buttons AND you hardcore iPod aficionados will be happy to find that the clickwheel operation on the iPod is retained. When the PA11-NIS is set to "PLAYLIST MODE" controlling the iPod is possible using the familiar CD and CD Changer control buttons on the radio. In this mode (unlike Direct Mode) the iPod screen and clickwheel are disabled allowing users to stow their iPod in a non-visible location and benefit from a safe driving experience. Going on a long journey? No problem, the PA11-NIS will also keep your iPod charged. Say good-bye to cumbersome Cassette Adapters, FM Transmitters, or Cigarette Lighter Chargers, the PA11-NIS will provide CD quality sound from you iPod and Auxiliary audio directly to the Nissan radio. The choice is yours, direct mode or Playlist mode..... you decide.

Compatibility & Notes: (These requirements must be met for this part to work)

1. Works with 2003-2006 350Z Bose system stereos [note, the website lists it as only working for 2004-2006 models, but it definitely works with the 2003]
    2. The PA11-NIS does NOT interfere with the in-dash 6-CD Changer radio.
    3. The Nissan/Infiniti radio MUST have a 12-pin Changer connector on the back of the radio AND the "CD" or "CD/CHG" button on the face. The USA Spec adapter works by emulating the trunk CD changer. [note: the CD6 button meets this requirement]
    4. Vehicle cannot be equipped with an external CD Changer or factory Satellite Radio (you must disconnect them to use this interface).
    5. Text and display information remain with the iPod (in Direct mode). The Nissan/Infiniti radio will NOT display Text. You will see playlist and track numbers.

Installation

You have to remove the center console dash to plug the USA Spec iPod adapter into the back of your Bose system. The Head Unit Installation article has excellent step-by-step directions on how to do this, complete with photos. Just use this article and the USA Spec manual, and it should take you an hour or two to install it.

Car iPod holders

Once you have your iPod hooked up to your stereo, you'll want to put it somewhere where it won't slide around when you drive fast. One option is the [Belkin TuneDok (white)], also available [in black], these cost about $30. A cheaper option is the [iGrip iPod Sticky Pad], which I found at my local Best Buy store for about $6. I put mine in the empty spot where the NAV would go, and iPod just sits on top of it. The iGrip holds it there pretty well.
  5. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

Thanks for the reply again.

I know what port you're talking about, I never knew that has Sound Out functionality as well though. Now I know, learning something new everyday =-P.

Well few more questions, the one that you recommended has both Digital and Auxilary port? Also, I don't have my iPod Touch yet (hopefully tmr), but does the iPod Touch have this digital port? Also, I assume that the dock is hard, meaning it can't be angled freely. Will this affect/effect iPod Touch playablity in anyway since iPod can do things differently horizontally and vertically?

Thank you once again.
  6. TheH

TheH New Member

One thing I forgot to mention, I don't know if it will be compatible with the new ipod touch, I was reading here that someone was having problems getting video out with the video cables for the older versions, so they may have changed the way this "dock" connection works.. So you should look for a ipod touch compatible one. Call your local Nissan dealer and see what they say, if you have the stock stereo they will be able to help you getting the right adapter for it.

But specify you want ipod touch compatibility. The one I told you here should work perfect for the older ones, (video, nano, etc,)

It's better to be safe than sorry..

As far as the dock to be like hard so the ipod doesn't fall, well I don't know.. You could use a little MacGyver skills on there, cuz I know people do there own installations, now if you have the money and don't want to deal with installing it and working on your car, then go to a car stereo shop, they will also know what kind you will need for the new ipod and will install it for you..

I haven't install one in my car yet, so I don't really know.. But google something like: ipod car adapter installation" or something like that and you'll prolly get instructions on how to do it.

Good luck with it, if you install it let me know how it went and what kind you got, cuz I want to install one of those adapters on my car in a few months.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

Will do, I called my local Nissan and they referred me to that dealer's authorized audio installation shop (which of course also sells the parts). I won't be buying it yet, more like a window shopping.

Not sure if I'll get iPod Touch tmr though (tracking still shows Memphis and I live in California) so not sure if they'll know/understand my situation =-/ Also, I know Shuffle doesn't have a digital port so hopefully I can find one with both digital and auxilary.
  8. TheH

TheH New Member

Oh I forgot about the shuffle, Well then if you have Aux on your stereo, then just go that way for now, you just need to get a cable for it on like Radioshack, and that way you can use your shuffle and your touch 2, sound it's also perfect.

The only drawback is the cable hanging around and stuff, but that's it..
    That's if you have that headphone jack input in your stereo, you may not have one infront but some stereos have the connection in the back, so call you dealer again if this is the case to see if your stereo has this aux, or just look in the menu if you see and aux option.

But this is the faster and easy way to do it, and it's compatible with any audio device that has earphones output.
  9. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

By back, what exactly do you mean? Back of the stereo gut? Or somewhere int he back of the car? I guess I can try looking around the car later after I get off work.

Once again thanks and will update once I get information from that place. if anyone else has feedback in regards of iPod Touch to a car stereo, digitally, please do post. doesn't need to be 350z, just curious if they work with iPod classics plugs.
  10. TheH

TheH New Member

I meant the inside back of the stereo.. that's why you need to know the specs of it.

have a good one!