2 Questions about .ipa files!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Pow3rbull, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

Hello fellow iPodTouchFans!

I have an question about the .ipa files, actually 2 questions.

One: On my mac, when I download an .ipa (no, not c****** apps but for example free appstore apps), after I downloaded it, it shows up as an folder with the itunesartwork and the .app in another folder. How do I prevent this from happening, and put the .ipa into iTunes like in Windows?

Two: Does the size of an .ipa change if put on iPod through iTunes? I need to know this in order to make a decision between the 8Gb and 16Gb 2G Touch. What I mean is: on the pc it is an .ipa file (some sort of zip thing), but when I put it in iTunes, will iTunes unpack it and will it get larger then the .ipa? Example: on the pc it is 3 mb, but on the ipod it is 5 mb?

Thanks already, I think the .ipa thing will help much people at making theyre decision!
  2. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I cannot think of any "homebrew sh*t" that is distributed in IPA format...
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There is homebrew that comes in IPA format? Wow, I didn't know that.
  4. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

Also the free apps downloaded in the appstore I mean, I know there no homebrews in ipa. Just answer the question please and don' t be un-helpfull..

If you can' t post anything that helps me then please don't.
  5. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you pirate, we won't help you. Diptard.
  6. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

I don' t mean to be a prick, but you' re one funny guy, I DO NOT pirate!

You can think of me as an asshole, but I do not pirate software nor hardware!

I downloaded free appstore apps in ITUNES (in windows, but transplanted them to my mac mini anyways) and the question isn' t that hard to answer. Don' t be an asshole to me because you SUSPECT I pirate, cuz I don't I always nicely buy my software because if there are issues your not covered. I just want an answer to my questions. Thankyou.
  7. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you truly own the Apps as you say, there would be no problem. Drag them into iTunes. Sign into your iTunes account. Sync. All there is to it.
  8. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

No that isn' t the question. Thanks for finally thinking of me not as lame pirate-guy, I plan to be a good part of this community too and help people out. In return I' d like to be helped too. When I put the .ipa files from my windows pc, to my mac, they show up as folders with a map containing the .app file and an iTunesArtwork file. It doesn' t show up like an .ipa in windows, but as an folder. How do I add these to iTunes, as some of the apps aren' t any longer avaiable in the Appstore (for free, or completely gone) so I can' t redownload some?

Also the question about if the .ipa file (or now folder in my case

Please Register or Log in to view images

) changes in size if put on the iPod? This is crucial for making my decision. You won't probably believe me, but I have NO iPod Touch (yet) and already downloaded 700mb of free apps (and I created an extra UK account for gettign iPint too, lol. I hope that isn't illegal cuz i really don't know?)
  9. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What are you using to transfer the files? Flash Drive? Network transfer? USB Drive?
  10. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

An USB drive. But I don' t think that cares..

Also can you answer on the q about .ipa files that change size if put on iPod?

EDIT: I already tried formatting the USB drive, if that's the advice you're going to give me xD
    EXTRA EDIT: Before you further help me, I think I do pirate..

I use no-cd patches and cracks for my games on windows (for my original games though!) in order to not have to every time search for my game-disk.. Only for games like Left 4 Dead to go online and stuff I don' t..

But please don' t let this be a problem to you all..?