2 Jailbreaking Questions...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ohlin5, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ohlin5

ohlin5 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok...to start off, I have done quite a bit of researching the jailbreaking scene because I have been thinking about doing it for several months now.

Also, I'm sorry for the essay, but I think I made it very thorough and easy to understand!

My 2 questions are this:

First, If I perform a jailbreak and all goes well, but then after a while it starts acting wierd (I have read about people's ipod working great and then starting to randomly lock up, etc.) what is the easiest and simplest way to simply restore it back to regular, official Apple FW? Would I simply do a SHIFT + Restore in Itunes? Let me know on this.

My second question is a little more involved. As I already stated, I am looking at jailbreaking my Ipod (Itouch 2nd Gen.) and possibly my brothers (Itouch 1st Gen.). I have done a significant amount of looking around on this issue, and have found some info., but not everything I'm looking for.

What I am wondering is if there is a simple, easy to use (easy GUI!) application that will jailbreak ANY Ipod touch 1st OR 2nd generation, that has a high success rate, and that is preferably for 3.1.2 firmware (although that last part isn't absolutely neccesary, I can always downgrade...)

All in all I have read about Quickfreedom, Quickpwn, RedSn0w, and even BlackRa1n. All of these seem to have their own different problems. I was reading about blackra1n today and it mentioned something about only working on MB models of the Ipod Touch 2nd generation, and not on MC models, but I couldn't find whether or not RC3 fixed this issue. The other wierd part is on my ipod when I go to Settings > General > About: the model bar says PB528LL, so I don't even get what they're talking about.

Also, I'm sure everything nowadays comes with it, but I really don't need anything that will Jailbreak/Unlock all the extra things like Itouch 3g, Iphone 3G, Iphone 3GS, etc. I just want it to be able to do ALL Ipod Touch 1st and 2nd generations.

Again, I'm really sorry for typing an essay, but I wanted to be thorough to get all the information through the first time! Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can help me with this!

Sincerely,
    -ohlin5
  2. iTouchHelp

iTouchHelp New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    look up how to put in recovery mode (DFU) and that is how you can recover apple's factory default
    blackra1n would be your best bet for jailbreaking
    best of luck,
  3. ohlin5

ohlin5 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, and I definitely wouldn't mind trying blackra1n, but I need to clarify that it will work with ANY Itouch 1st OR 2nd generation, or will it just work with ones with the MB model and not the MC (This is what I'm confused on mainly).
  4. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You do not need to go into DFU mode to restore, it works with MC models although some people seem to have problems.
  5. ohlin5

ohlin5 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    alright thanks! One more quick question: I don't know why my ipod touch 2nd generation has neither MB nor MC at the beginning of the model, but is MB simply all 2nd gen's and MC all 3 gen's?
  6. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    MB and MC are most common ones. ALL 1st gen ipods are jailbreakable. though the MC model is tethered. Im not sure about PB. never heard of that! hope i helped!
  7. ohlin5

ohlin5 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @narwal13 & Others: Just for future reference and for anyone else who reads this thread, I figured it out...PB & MB are exactly the same, PB is simply the engraved model! Also, the jailbreak went smoothly! Thanks Again!

-ohlin5
  8. razorphish

razorphish New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    -ohlin5 ...I was thinking of doing the research about the same that you just did. I am glad that your jail break went successful. Could you please let me know where you got the Blackra1n software & instructions etc.

I want to get started on jail breaking my IPod Touch II 2G, firmware ver: 2.2.1 (Model MB)

Thank you in advance
    :)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ok. addition to my above post. I have read up and seems Blackra1n is the easiest. and my ipod being on 2.2.1, I will need to update it to 3.1.2

so i am downloading iPod2, 1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw to update firmware from [removed]

is that a good way to go about or pay apple for update?

also, when i do jailbreak...what does it mean..Sorry I am not a noob .. I know cydia will let me load downloaded apps etc from the net is that right?

Can anyone point me in right direction
  9. ohlin5

ohlin5 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Info...

Sorry for the late reply!

Blackra1n is downloaded from www.blackra1n.com. Blackra1n is by far the easiest jailbreak currently available, but you're correct it HAS TO BE ON 3.1.2. I've read about people trying it on other firmwares and screwing it up.

As far as paying apple, if you've already payed for the 3.0 update, then you can update to 3.1.2 for free in itunes.

Jailbreaking is simply allowing apps of many kinds to run on your ipod. (Apps that apple will not let into the app store...)

Lastly, I performed my jailbreak on a windows XP computer, as I figured it would be easier to not have to mess with "run as administrator" and things of the like. But either way, follow this guide at this link before you hit the "make it ra1n" button in blackra1n. "http://cydiaupdates.info/index.php/the-news/129-blackra1n-not-working-for-you-the-blackra1n-fix-checklist" is the website address, and I would just make sure everything that it lists in the checklist part is done before you hit the button.

One final bit of info- OBVIOUSLY I TAKE ZERO RESPONSIBILITY IF SOMETHING DOES GO WRONG WITH YOUR IPOD, but it worked fine for my 2nd gen and my brother's 1st gen, so here is exactly step-by-step what I did (on XP!):

1. Log onto the only user account there is.
    2. Use itunes to update to 3.1.2 FW
    3. Perform a full backup of the ipod in itunes.
    4. Restore the ipod back to factory settings by hitting restore in itunes (loses EVERYTHING so that's why we made the backup!) At this point you should be able to unlock the ipod and it should look brand new with zero d/l'ed apps, no music, no photos, etc. Also, after you restore and itunes asks you if you want to set the ipod up as new or restore from backup, simply close out of itunes for the time being.
    5. Open itunes and disable all syncing by going into preferences > Devices > and then hitting the checkbox that says something about disabling syncing.
    6. Unplug and replug in ipod to computer (Itunes SHOULD NOT pop up!)
    7. ctrl + alt + delete and end ALL itunes/ipod processess (ituneshelper, itunes, applemobiledevicehelper, msdnresponder, and applemobileservice. I know in the guide it says to leave that last one running, and it may be a good idea I really don't know, but mine worked fine without it.
    8. Download blackra1n to the root of your C:/ drive.
    9. While the freshly restored ipod is on the "slide to unlock" screen, open blackra1n and hit "make it ra1n".
    10. After the jailbreak is completed simply restore from the backup you made earlier and reinstall your apps and music. Simply open itunes and it will once again ask you whether you want to set it up as new or restore from backup. obviously restore from a backup!
    11. After all that is done, open the blackra1n app and install cydia only and not rock (that would be my recommendation because although cydia is somewhat buggy, I have read about people having problems when they've installed more than one of them.)
    12. Then you're jailbroken, and you simply can go about downloading whatever apps/games you want! (Word of advice - I'm sure most of the stuff is perfectly fine, but I always like to make sure what I'm downloading is reputable before I download it!)

*NOTE: Some of these instructions may be different (likely will be) on a Vista or 7 machine. Sorry but I can't help you there!

There you go! A VERY detailed set of instructions.

-ohlin5
  10. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    sorry for this but^^^^ "Holy sh*t" good detail... My eyes are sore from reading this
    EDIT
    ahh razor remove the link ... It's called piracy.. Your probs banned.. Why don't you dl the firmware from iTunes