2.2 2g email alert tone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lg69hydros, Jan 7, 2009.

1. lg69hydros

lg69hydros New Member

Hi everyone

So..with all the email alert posts, there is talk abou tthe alert and the different software versions. I have a tpod touch 2g 2.2. IM just trying to figure out ho wto set up the email so it alerts me when a new mail comes in. I have gmail set up on it. Any help would be great!!

lg69hydros@yahoo.com
  2. elars

elars New Member

It does. It turns your music down for a second and makes a mid-tone "bong". Kind of sounds like a more flat version of the Playstation Logo sound during the commercials. Want to change it? Wait in line for the jailbreak.
  3. DarlarHitwin

DarlarHitwin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't get alerts. I don't know why. Is there something in the settings?
  4. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Have a look? ROFL
  5. elars

elars New Member

It won't alert you if you're not near wifi. If you are, you have to have your "Fetch New Data" set to Push. It will only check as frequently as every 15 minutes and only when your device is active, and not screen-off standby. While in the Fetch New Data menu, check the Advanced > at the bottom of the screen, make sure your GMail is added and set to "Fetch".

I rarely hear the tone, because 15 minute intervals are so infrequent, but better for battery life... And I rarely leave my Touch on and not locked unless it's charging.
  6. bryguy001

bryguy001 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Settings > General > Sounds
  7. Coasterboi

Coasterboi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Some email providers (like Gmail) don't yet support Push (having the email instantly sent to your iPod), so instead it uses fetch, which will check for new mail every so often (you choose the frequency via settings).