2.1 app launching very slow?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Darlyn, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Up until the last few weeks, I had been running 1.1.4 without a hitch. Upon the 2.1 release I decided it was finally time to try out the App Store. I updated, jailbroke, and immediately noticed that launching the prepackaged apps took several seconds. I often switch off my WiFi, so you can imagine how unpleasant the 3-5 second wait is when launching Preferences. The same thing happens with Notes, Photos, and Safari.

Is this commonplace? If this is an isolated issue, then the only solution I can think of is deleting my old preference property list files. I am certain they are the very same I had on 1.1.4, as I still have some of Skylar's Advanced Preferences functionality (like numeric battery).

Thanks for the feedback.
  2. ilena

ilena New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wifitoggle in Cydia makes life easier.
    If you have many stuff enabled in Winterboard, it will cause slow downs of the system.
  3. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This problem persists in a freshly jailbroken 2.1 Touch. I had nothing more than Cydia and Installer.
  4. ilena

ilena New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My prepackaged apps take 3 secs to launch on 2.1
    Seems to be commonplace then.
    My tip is still WifiToggle (available in Cydia), one click and your Wifi is either enabled or disabled.
  5. Mythul

Mythul New Member

yeah wifitoggle is one of the best apps ever invented. its on my main page

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Jailbreaking almost invariably slows down the ipod.
    Either the JB process itself, or some poorly behaved applications off Cydia.
    Resetting the unit will help temporarily, but the problem will just return.

Unless you really want the JB, I would just go with a clean non-JB, 2.1 works great. The lag really bothered me, so I just restored to un-JB 2.1.
  7. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

If it's slower than non-jb'ed, you're doing it wrong.

Jailbreaking and apps add nothing to the iPod load, besides MobileSubstrate possibly adding a bit or SpringBoard lag due to safety.

Also, stock fails. You're missing out on such awesome stuff due to an extra second of app load or exit time.
  8. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    How can I "do it wrong"? Its a no-brainer procedure, with few choices to make.

I would have agreed with you except that I have JB 3 times since fw 2.0 and each time found the same thing happening. And its more than 1 second lag, more like 5 seconds or more, and when you're looking up a contact its a pain in the *ss swiping your finger over and over again until the list starts scrolling, I have over 500 contacts.

So far I haven't found "awsome" stuff on Cydia-- kind of fun to check out different apps but nothing life changing that I couldn't do without.
  9. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Do you know the extent of what WinterBoard and MobileSubstrate can do?
  10. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Yes, Winterboard for themes, etc, and Mobilesubstrate for store apps...

I know that many people on this board enjoy these things, and I'm not criticizing them. But, after the initial "hey, that's neat" reaction, after realizing that I was paying a price in performance, came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it. I am among those "serious" users who use the ipod touch for work (as a pda and for email) and for play (internet and music/podcasts). Therefore, decent performance, along with not having to reset the unit or having crashes all the time is important. After several days of using a JB system, Cydia started to take forever to load, everything else was just plain slow.

Since restoring to a clean 2.1 system-- no crashes, and good performance.