2.0 Upgrade - On Installer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Sarcasm Siempre, May 24, 2008.

1. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    When the January Software Upgrade was released, several Installer packages showed up containing the apps and the wiggly-icon feature. What I was wondering is, when 2.0 is released, will it be possible to get, say, the App Store and the new calculator (with the scientific mode) through Installer?

Please don't call me a "n00b" or other 1337 derogatory term. Keep in mind that I'm relatively new to this.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    There is no installer for 2.0! You pay for the App Store and the firmware is free.
  3. PippenMan101

PippenMan101 New Member

Firmware 2.0 and the January App Pack are two TOTALLY different things. First off, the App Pack was less then a MB in size, but Firmware 2.0 is around 180 MB. Good luck downloading this on your iPod. And two, NO ONE KNOWS YET! Who knows how Apple is going to execute 2.0. It may be a bundle where you pay for the actual 2.0 firmware entirely, or you download 2.0 for free, but some of the amazing features are blocked out until you purchase it.

Geez, I wish Steve didn't say anything about how Apple has to charge a "nominal fee" for 2.0 for the iPod touch. The questions and threads would have been so much less...
    1 person likes this.
  4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Keep in mind that the App pack was exactly what it sounds like, a couple of apps. The 2.0 firmware on the other hand is (again, very aptly self-described) firmware, which is a whole different ballpark.
  5. The_Judas_Priest

The_Judas_Priest New Member

You are the greatest man alive. +rep
  6. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, i get the whole "Firmware is bigger than the app pack" thing. I'm good there.

But what about the new calculator? Could that conceivably be packaged as an Installer app?
  7. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Well someone either has to steal the one from Apple and port it to1.1.x or someone else needs to make one and make it available in the installer. I think I already saw about 20 or so scientific calculators there already.
  8. zaaroc2

zaaroc2 New Member

ok guys get ur facts straight everything is going to be free 2.0 and app store and so is the calc the only thing that isn't going to be free is the apps off of app store unless the person who made the app decides to make it free so there it is the plain hard truth
  9. snapplesevrythng

snapplesevrythng New Member

If apple did the same thing they did with 1.1.4 than you would install 2.0 on your ipot and then enable the app store through installer. but installer would have to be adapted for 2.0
  10. GolemdX

GolemdX New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @zaaroc2: YOU get your facts straight. Look at the "Firmware 2.0 and YOU" topic. Firmware 2.0 COSTS MONEY, that's why people want it in installer.

You could just download another scientific-calculator from installer.app, or you can wait until somebody makes a clone. Me? I'd just wait until 2.0 comes out and buy it.