2.0 After loading all free apps...

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by demetry14, Jul 18, 2008.

1. demetry14

demetry14 New Member

I upgraded to the 2.0 firmware & have downloaded all the free applications just to test them out. But when I load all the free apps and my ipod finishes syncing it reboots and then gets stuck at the apple logo & after 5 minutes or so the backlight dims but that's all, after waiting 30 minutes they system still has not booted. They file system is not full so does anyone have any idea's. I also know that the apps do not start at boot so the boot process be normal except for the slight file system fragmentation due to the large change since last reboot.
  2. willryan42

willryan42 New Member

Why would you get every single free app? That's pretty ridiculous.
  3. demetry14

demetry14 New Member

Wow, I am so glad you replied after not reading all of what I wrote. Please only reply if you have some sort of help with the "non boot" issue I explained.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You DO know how many free Apps there are right? Do you know how long it would take to load all of them onto the Springboard and what would happen?

And do you honestly think that it has enough space to fit every single app?
  5. donkeychill

donkeychill Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    hmmm I had an issue like this but it usually takes up to five minutes now.

Try holding the Home and Sleep button at the same time to Force Shut off the system them try to turn it on again. It worked for me when i had a problem.
  6. demetry14

demetry14 New Member

Yes and Yes

there are 8 springboard pages with 16 apps on each page. & I have a 16Gb ipod touch which is only using a few gigs after every app is installed.

So I do understand that apps will not show if all 8 pages are full of apps but that is my point I will be removing apps when I test them & do not want them.

What I do not understand is why the system will not boot after it is done. it should only render what it can & then hide the rest, but at the same time it should not take any longer to boot as these apps do not have startup perms like apples mail app.
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    This is different from installing a whole bunch of apps in installer, because the apps in the app store are so much larger.

I would try a force reboot, as suggested, and next time only install a few apps at a time.
  8. demetry14

demetry14 New Member

Uhhhh, majority of the apps are only a few Kb in size and then there are those few that are a hundred Mb or so. So is this what he forum is for now that I haven't been on for a while, just to tell people reboot & reinstall.

WOW, THREAD CLOSED - THIS IS LAME NOW, REBOOT & REINSTALL. Great advice. Please no more responses, I'll just boot verbose & figure it out myself.
  9. Shortyman801

Shortyman801 New Member

Just because you have ROOM to hold all of the apps DOES NOT mean you have the PROCESSING POWER to run them all.

For example:
    If you download 50 CD games onto your CPU or Mac, then it will slow down ALOT; probably even crash.

I know this technically isn't right, but it sounds like its a pretty good metaphor to me:
    Pretty much what an app is is a bunch of code, that tell your ipod what to do.
    The code doesn't take up that much room because its just text.
    However; when you run the app, you ipod is workin' hard to do all of the commands that app is telling it to do.
    Meanwhile its running other commands from the other 160 something apps you dowloaded, trying to keep them in standby mode.

So instead of downloading them all, why don't you just download 2 or 3 at a time, and delete the ones you don't want?
  10. Shade

Shade New Member

I have dealt with this
    THE LIMIT is 86 or so