2.0.2 Jailbreak and wasted space!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by gsimonds, Aug 19, 2008.

1. gsimonds

gsimonds Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I recently updated my 2.0.1 JB to the "improved" 2.0.2. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of updates to counter JB's as an attempt to increase App Store sales.

Anyway, I decided to JB 2.0.2 with Quickpwn, and it seemed to work well. None of my Apps that I loaded via SSH/SCP were there, so I began to gather them up to transfer to my ipod. I was confused as to why my free space had not changed. The "Application" shortcut to /private/var/stash/Applications.blahblah (where you drag .APP folders) to my surprise showed all my old custom apps!

I was curious as to why they were not loading, so I did a little investigating inside my file system. I discovered that my /private/var/stash/ directory was filled with duplicate folders of everything (fonts, apps, themes, etc.). They each have a unique 6 letter/number designation, and when I updated to 2.0.2 and did the JB, it changed all of those designations.

Long story short, if you take the same route I chose, be sure to free up that wasted space. Its quite easy to transfer what you want, and then delete everything else.

Hope that helps!
  2. CorranQ

CorranQ New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    You are my favorite person right now... doing the clean-up recovered 60 megabytes that had gotten duped :-S

Actually, I'm now wondering if this wouldn't have a relation to why Cydia/Installer keep crashing the iPhod any time they install something and you've got a lot of programs loaded on already...
  3. fred7

fred7 New Member

Did you clear and delete everything that was on /private/var/stash/?
  4. jedimyndtryx

jedimyndtryx New Member

I have multiple Applications.xxx folders in \stash each with a different name. I have copied my Apps over from the "old" one to the "new" one and it works fine. How do we know which Applications, Themes, etc folders to get rid of? My Other is getting high on used disk space and Im thinking it may be because of the duplicate folders?
  5. CorranQ

CorranQ New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Just the older duplicates after having jailbroken in my case.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Your newest folders will be the ones the OS is actually using, the rest are pretty much garbage. Just check the dates on folder creation and modifications and be careful on the wallpaper ones as they are a bit trickier since the files are as old as the first iPhone firmwares in some cases
  6. chewyman01

chewyman01 New Member

I also have duplicate applicaitons.xxx folders, however, I wasn't able to completely remove the old one (i.e. those folders that have mobileXXX). Can those be remove? and how?

Anybody's knows the reason why we get multiple application folders? is it because of installing cydia over and over again when we jailbreak?