1st Gen iPod Touch Dead

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chiu74, Feb 9, 2010.

1. chiu74

chiu74 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi

I have been given a 1st gen ipod touch, I've searched these forums high and low and can't find anyone with the same problem.
    Basically the ipod only comes on when plugged into the wall and when it does come on it only shows the white apple logo if i hold the home button the usb itunes image shows, but as soon as i unplug to plug into my mac the screen goes black. The USB connection doesn't show any logo just a black screen.
    If I do the hold the sleep button home button DFU thing itunes says waiting for ipod then the usual error 1602 message.
    Someone please help...
  2. DizzyEwok

DizzyEwok New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    After a few years, the batteries in Apple products become almost unusable, I believe this may have happened to your iPod Touch 1G
  3. chiu74

chiu74 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I also thought the same thing that it must be the battery but surely it would charge just as well off of a usb to mac. If I could somehow get it to wall charge and sync at the same time I think I could sort it.
    The mac will respond to it if I do the DFU thing but there is no display and it comes up only with the 1602 error.
  4. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    have you tried reinstalling iTunes?
  5. chiu74

chiu74 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yeah have tried that, Also tried running through usb on a pc running vista and I'm getting the same results. If it was the battery the usb would still power it, right?
  6. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    try sending it to a professional iPod Touch repair place, they do it for SOO cheap, like $20. that should fix it. also I may be opening my own online repair shop soon, so you can check that out once it opens ^_^
  7. DizzyEwok

DizzyEwok New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes it should, technically. Unless there's some internal parts that grab the power straight from the battery.
  8. chiu74

chiu74 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'll fit a new battery and see where that takes me. Failing that I guess it's the bin.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Just pluggd it in to the USB and I'm now getting a white screen... I guess that's progress
  9. raxater

raxater New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    what a great luck there's ipod touch 3GEN!!!
  10. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Have you tried getting your iPod touch into DFU mode while it is plugged in? The screen should be black at the time. Leave it plugged in for a few hours and try again with your computer.