1st gen 2.2 jailbroken vs 2nd gen 2.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by onedesire, Nov 30, 2008.

1. onedesire

onedesire New Member

1st gen 2.2 jailbroken vs 2nd gen 2.2

the 2nd gen with the new apps store and it running faster would it be worth getting although it cant be jailbroken.

If you had a choice which one would you pick and why?
  2. Sumeshi

Sumeshi New Member

The app store is also on the 1st generation iPod Touch. So it has the App store ánd Cydia.
    But the 2nd generation has speakers, volume buttons, longer battery and better design.

I'd probably go for a 1st generation (I got one) because jailbreaking is nicer then the functions of the 2g.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'd go 2G because of the Mic and Speakers. Added functionality and access to wider range of Apps.
  4. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Id go 2g, I love the button and mic, but I do miss jailbreaking. I wouldnt go back though
  5. catalyst11

catalyst11 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Would cost be a factor? I have a 8GB 1st G but ordered a 1st G 16GB the other day when Amazon had them for $199. I'm selling my 8GB for $170 and already have a buyer. So for $30, I'm upgrading to a 16GB 1st G but if I wanted the 2G, it would be $270ish. Not worth the price difference in my opinion.
  6. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

I went with a 2G before I could change my mind.

The reasons I enjoy my 2G:
    Faster processor*, volume rocker, speaker, wider range of Apps, audio quality**, curved back, and well, it's newer.

The reasons why I sometimes wish I would have gone 1G:
    Jailbreak, Linux (what it will become as soon as some solid drivers are written), Winterboard, the 2G's yellow tint***, price.

* - Cube is practically unplayable on my friends 1G (2.2, jailbroken). It runs perfect on my 2G (2.2).
    ** - I don't have much of a basis for this other than a side by side comparison, so take this with a grain of salt.
    *** - It's not all that noticeable unless you compare it side to side with a 1G.
  7. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

The yellow tint is a b*tch with the 2g but unless you keep looking at a 1g you end up totally forgetting about it.

Have no freakin' idea why apple would give the 2g such a yellow tinted screen for.

But the speakers and all the other extras are better than a 1g.
  8. onedesire

onedesire New Member

what extra apps do you get on 2nd gen i thought with the 2.2 update its the same and with apps store you could get all the app you want ... but i dont know

Please Register or Log in to view images

thats why im asking thanks.
    i have a 1st gen touch 32 gb but i could trade it in for a 2nd gen .... the real question is, is jailbreak apps really that worth getting 1st gen for over a 2nd gen now you got apps store
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

There's a few games which won't even install on the iPod 1G, such as that rocket game whose name escapes me. To be honest, does it matter which one you get? You can't JB the 2nd gen iPod Touch, but with its speakers and external volume control it may be better for gaming. You cant jailbreak it at the moment, but beyond that it really depends on what you're doing. For gaming and videos, the 2g seems to be a better choice.
  10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    2G has no streetview and emojicons, not to mention you can't customize it with themes.