1G vs 2G price? Secure WiFi question?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmike283, Oct 27, 2008.

1. madmike283

madmike283 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Newb here. I just bought a new 16GB 2G from an ebay seller. I was curious what the fuss is about the "big" price difference between the 1G and 2G models? I see talk of the 1G being so much cheaper and the 2G not being worth the extra $. Where are these cheaper prices? I don't see any 1G models going for super cheap. In fact, the retail price on the 1G was MORE than the 2G, and it shows on ebay, etc. I ended up getting my new 2G 16GB for $247. I thought it was a decent deal and couldn't find "deals" much better than that on new 2G or even 1G. Is the talk primarily coming from people that currently have the 1G and don't think it's worth the upgrade? If you were a first-time buyer which would you go with, and if the 1G is your answer... where do you get it for so much cheaper???

Also, my home WiFi connection is secured with a security code and filtered by MAC address. Will I be able to connect my new iTouch to it? I haven't come across any info on this yet.

Thanks for the info guys and gals.
  2. bamxbam

bamxbam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Well

I don't know about the whole 1g being cheaper or anything but I never had a 1st Generation iPod Touch , so I went for the 2nd Generation iPod Touch because let's see it has external speakers that may not be incredibly loud but when your in your room or somewhere to relax or just chill out it's great. People who have the 1g ipod Touch who are complaining are just upset that the one they have doesn't have the extra special features

Please Register or Log in to view images

As far as the wi-fi you should definitely be able to get on it my internet connection here is a wi-fi security locked etc. and mine connects perfectly

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyway good luck with your new touch =)
  3. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The 1G will be cheaper at any retail stores. On eBay, they're relying on naive people that just know about a "new" iPod and don't do their research. But what you stated isn't always true either. Different listings come at different times, there are often quite a few cheap 1G's.

On Amazon, for example:

1G: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-touch-1st-Generation/dp/B0012JCZYM/
    2G: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-touch-2nd-Generation/dp/B001FA1NZU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

There are also cheap Refurbished 1G's available from Apple:

1G: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FA627LL/B

Hope this helps!
  4. Kontents

Kontents New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    2G 16GB for $247. is a great deal. and 2G is better then 1G but the Ipod touch 1G is still in the market as an active item so it wont be cheaper. they will just stop making it.

If you know the password you will have no problem connecting.
  5. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

1G is cheaper than the 2G, and 1G ipod touch can be JB.

the 2G is more expensive than the 1G, and the 2G can not be JB.
    but only for now, u can wait for the JB for 2G.

about the wifi connection. yes u can connect to wifi using 2G ipod, only if u know the password.

any further question?
  6. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You guys, as far as the WiFi goes, he's asking more about whether the MAC Address setup will work. You can't just say "Yes, the product does WiFi like it says it does."

Myself, I'm not too sure, thus I didn't answer.
  7. JAD

JAD New Member

It's supposed to work as well as the one g. In actual fact, quite a number of us, including me are having huge problems with it. I sent my first one back under warranty because of dodgy wifi and just got the second one today. Looks like it's even worse and it's definitely going back. I'll be contacting Apple tomorrow. My one g, in contrast, has worked well since the moment I got it and took less than five minutes to set up with MAC address filtering and WPA-psk at home and at work. This is not to say all 2G's are bad, of course, just the two I happen to get stuck with. But I'm also not the only one. Check out Apple's ipod touch forum for posts on it.
  8. madmike283

madmike283 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Exactly! Thanks for helping clear that up.

So, I assume their must be an info screen in the Touch that will give you the MAC address for your device? Sorry for the questions. I guess I could just wait until later in the week once I get mine in my hands. Thanks for the help guys.
  9. JAD

JAD New Member

Yes indeed there is, though they call it the wifi address. It's in settings, general, scroll down to wifi address. Dude, if you're getting it at a STORE, CHECK the wifi before you buy it. Get a WPA connection, turn off the wifi, reboot the ipod. Turn wifi back on. If after that you can't regain the wifi symbol at the top left by "iPod", you have a problem.