1G upgrade to 2G or 3G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Overspeed, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Overspeed

Overspeed New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi all,

I have a 1G bought literally the day the touch was released. I have never been spoiled by faster CPUs or speakers or bluetooth etc. Here is my situation. A week before the Apple event, my family bought me a 16GB 2G. Knowing that the Apple event was coming I chose not to open it, hoping there would be a 3G. And there was ... sort of.

Let me be clear, I had no hopes of a camera, and I don't want to start discussion about it. It is simply a matter of opening my 2G or returning it for the 3G. I ask because there have been some reports of people who bought directly from Apple.com on the 11th that he 3G has had some weird issues.

For those of you who have not been following recent news, a tear down by the fixit guys shows that the 3G 32 & 64 models have an 802.11n chip and FM capability. I wonder if apple will enable these features via firmware in the future? And lastly ... again I don't want to start a camera debate, but clearly Apple meant to put a camera in the new touch as space was found for it. So I say to those who are very unhappy with Steve, it seems that Apple tried to give you your camera but had problems and took it out so they could deliver a better product later rathert than a buggy or poor performing product now.

I also understand that if I take back my unopened 2G and replace it with a 3G, I would be getting double the capacity for the same price. I would value your thoughts if you were in my position ... what would you do based on what we know today? Thx.

OS
  2. Soutar_3DG

Soutar_3DG Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i would take the 2G back and get the 3G if i was in your position.
  3. http

http New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm in the same position, I have a 2G 32Gig that my girlfriend bought 3 days ago from BestBuy (so I have 30 days to return it even if I use it) but I don't know if I should return it for the third gen or keep it.

Because I also read some reports that new users have some weird issues with their new touch. And if I take the third gen 32 gig I will have to pay 45$CAN more from my pocket...
  4. btm

btm New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have a 3g touch and have had no issues. I would return it and get a 3g.
  5. The Walrus Was Paul

The Walrus Was Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I too own the original iPod Touch, and I am considering buying the 3g because I could really use the space (since mine is only 8gb). I was just wondering if anybody could compare the iPod Touch 3g to the original iPod Touch, all the comparisons out there are 2g vs 3g, I want 1g vs 3g.

Cheers, Chris
  6. Shukketsu.Azuguad

Shukketsu.Azuguad Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Get the third gen. I switched from 1st gen to third gen, and it blows my mind away. The speed just rocks my socks off.
  7. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is the winning post. My iPhone 3GS is awesome. Since it's just as fast, or faster, it's definitely worth upgrading to.
  8. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    actually the iPod touch 3G beats the iPhone 3GS...tell it to someone who owns both *cough *cough me! xD

anyway if I were you I would return that 2G and get the 3G...it's worth it since I upgraded from the 1G as well

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

Only microscopically faster, due to no phone daemons in the iPod

Since the 2G isn't opened, it's a real no brainer to trade it in for something that's gonna be the latest thing for another 11 1/2 months

10. fashiongeek

fashiongeek New Member

u have nice gf man...one lucky guy you should do same thing for her...keep it that way.... ws it gift?