1G not turning on/charging after taking it apart, possibly broken PCB logic board?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Darlyn, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    After fully disassembling my first generation iPod Touch several times today, it isn't turning on or charging. No parts were replaced; I was merely trying to reseat the fidgety home button.

I had previously partially disassembled my iPod before, but had never gone far enough to remove that small logic board referred to as a PCB by iFixit.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Being the first time it had been detached from the black metal framework since initial manufacturing, I had to apply a bit of force to remove the board, which was glued on.
    In the process I bent it ever so slightly.

Please Register or Log in to view images

After putting the iPod back together and successfully turning it on, I realized that I had forgotten to snap on the squarish EMI shield onto the main logic board. Took it apart again, placed shield back on, and reassembled the whole thing. It was at this point that the iPod refused to turn on, or even charge.

I should add that the first time I disassembled this iPod several months ago the same thing happened. No response for several hours until I got home and plugged it into a charger. I'm guessing (not to mention hoping) that this is another case similar to that first time, because it would not have otherwise turned on immediately after a reassembled it the today.

If the PCB is broken, what are the chances that I can replace it? It's attached by two flex cables to the main board, a connection I have no idea how to replicate.
  2. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    you cannot replace the smaller display processing board (it's not called PCB). If that thing is broken you have to replace the whole logic board, sorry but there is no other way doing that.

Well, I never had problems like you had with an iDevice not turning on after dis-and reassembling tho...
    seems odd to me and looks like a short circuit or sth. else.
  3. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I don't know what to say. The first time it happened I just ignored it for a few hours, but it's already been about 18 hours since the incident.
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    well - give it a last dis- and reassembling, perhaps you forgot some cables or some cables got broken but otherwise, sorry I guess we can't help you out =/
    wait or replace your logic board or get a new device...since a logic board is rather expensive