16GB Touch with 9.62GB of "other"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stenosis, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Stenosis

Stenosis New Member

I successfully JB'd my touch, added all sorts of apps. Very happy, however, iTunes is telling me there is 9.62GB's of "other" stuff on my touch.

I haven't tried restoring -since I'm real happy with how it is working.

Any ideas on how the hunt down the 9GB culprit?...or remove?

Anybody else seeing this?

Thanks, Stenosis
  2. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is usually result of bad syncing etc.

Someone else mentioned this before, but you can try to unplug it, and then plug it in with iTunes open so it can attempt to free it up for you. I just say restore it using iTunes and it'll be gone for good... if you've gt 9GB of "other" chances are, you have lesser than 5GB of actual stuff, just load em back afterwards and you're good to go.
  3. dmorgan81

dmorgan81 New Member

install a file manager, then review what folders are huge like that. Then begin deleting the old, be careful though.

Use an ftp client or putty to delete files if you can't figure out how to do it through the iTouch.
  4. nocup911

nocup911 New Member

When i JB'd my ipod it said the same thing then itunes couldn't read the ipod so i couldn't restore

if you cant restore you have to hold down the hold button and home button until the screen flashes and shuts off then let go of the hold button but keep holding the home button then your itunes will reconize it and it will restore IT HAS TO BE PLUG IN THE HOLE TIME

ps - you might loose the jailbreak im pritty sure you do only do it if you cannot restore cause i think that the only way to fix the problem
  5. Stenosis

Stenosis New Member

Thanks for replies. I'm just going to restore then re-JB. That should take care of my mystery files.

I tried to locate the files using unix “find” through x-term. No luck, and a pain in the ass.

Haven't had this much fun since hacking my Xbox. Waahooo! -Stenosis
  6. Gmilo

Gmilo New Member

i have same problem with you..
    i am also restore my itouch...
    seems it work and will re-JB soon...>.<
  7. trankillity

trankillity New Member

What has likely happened in these cases is that the iTunes Library on the iPod Touch didn't get renamed or symlinked or whatever needs to happen to it in the Jailbreaking process so you have your library on there but it's unrecognizable by both the physical player and the iTunes application. You *could* just delete it using SFTP, but it's probablly easier if you just restore and jailbreak again.
  8. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yes, you do lose the jailbreak and everything else as well.