1604 Errors while restoring

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by snj1013, Aug 8, 2008.

1. snj1013

snj1013 New Member

I tried to upgrade my Ipod Touch from firmware 2.0 (not Jailbroken) to 2.0.1 last night. It locked up and gave me a 1604 error. I have tried to restore it many times on 3 different computers (an XP machine, a Vista machine and a Macbook) and keep getting the same 1604 error. My Ipod looks like it is restoring properly but then I get the error and the screen is locked showing the white apple. I think I am putting the Ipod into DFU mode by first holding the power button and the home button until the screen goes blank. I then hold the home button until Itunes recognizes the Ipod. Itunes gives me the message that it has detected the Ipod in Recovery Mode and prompts me to restore it. I keep trying to restore to 2.0.1 or hitting the shift button and selecting the 2.0 firmware. In either case, I get the 1604 error.

I have uninstalled Itunes, Apple Mobile Device, Quick Time and Apple Software Update programs and reinstalled but still get the 1604. I tried this on the Vista machine and the XP machine. I have also installed Itunes 7.4 and tried to restore to 1.1.4 with the same 1604. That was one of the first things I tried. Several hours ago.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The 1600 series of errors usually occurs when you are in Recovery Mode, so you must not be in DFU Mode properly.

To place your iPod touch into DFU Mode, follow one of these ways:

1. Hold down Sleep/Wake button and Home button together, until the iPod touch powers off. Once the iPod touch turns on again, let go of the Sleep/Wake button about 1 or 2 seconds later, still holding the Home button. Once plugged in, iTunes will recognize the device is in Recovery Mode.

2. Open up iLiberty+ and other the Other Tools tab select 'Enter DFU Mode'.

3. Open up ZiPhone and select Prepare for Upgrade.
  3. CurlyCarlos

CurlyCarlos New Member

I don't know if anyone knows this, but neither of those programs recognize the 2.0 firmware. Thus, they won't be able to help you out.
  4. snj1013

snj1013 New Member

I've tried the first suggestion, putting the Ipod into DFU mode manually a bunch of times. I still get the 1604 error. Is timing real critical when to release the Home button once Itunes recognizes the Ipod?
  5. snj1013

snj1013 New Member

I had the same 1604. I tried everything from iLiberty, ziphone, ibrickr, reinstalling Itunes, using 3 different computers with 3 different operating systems, etc. I finally asked myself why am I wasting so much time. My iPod wasted jailbroke. I took it to my local Apple store last night and the guy tried a simple restore once, and gave up. He ordered me a new Ipod and it was delivered today. I picked it up and I'm back in business.
  6. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

well.. i had the same problem and i actually found a program that changes firmware.. downloaded it via installer.. try searching for it.. that's all i can tell u right now

Please Register or Log in to view images