100% new to Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Farleybr, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Farleybr

Farleybr New Member

Hey everyone i JUST got my iPod touch and i was wondering a few things. first of all i already got 1.1.2 should i downgrade and jailbreak it? second is there any applications where you DONT need to jailbreak to use? And back to the second one is there even a jailbreak that i can just stick on 1.1.2 with?
    Thanks for all answers i appreciate it!
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Unfortunately there is no direct 1.1.2 jailbreak. You need to downgrade to 1.1.1 (using the downloaded 1.1.1 restore file), apply the 1.1.1 jailbreak and OktoPrep, then shift-update to 1.1.2 (using the downloaded 1.1.2 restore file) and apply the TouchFree 1.1.2 jailbreak. There are tutorials here for both jailbreak versions.

As to your other questions, no, you need to jailbreak to install any software. Whether or not you should jailbreak depends on whether you want to be able to do that or not. There's really not much of a downside to jailbreaking. The only one I can think of is that whenever new firmware comes out, you have to wait 'til a jailbreak comes out for it before you update (or you lose everything). Even when the new jailbreak method comes out, you will need to reinstall all of your apps, so it can be a bit of a pain. It's worth it to me, though.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just a note - there are many website that have been created specifically for unjailbroken iPhone/iPod Touches - like www.meebo.com or www.beejive.com for example. There's a whole list of them at Apple's site...

Oh, and just to clarify Mindfield's note - at THIS TIME, there's no other way to install applications other than jailbreak. Apple is making a development kit available for native applications as of February, so there most likely will be native applications come out in the future that wouldn't require a jailbreak...
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

True -- but those will probably be sold through the iTunes store. The SDK is free, but apps developed through the SDK will need to be digitally signed, and getting them signed will probably cost money, so it's unlikely you'll be seeing any freeware for un-jailbroken iPhones/Touches.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I know Apple is all about the $$$ - but they do do some open-source/free stuff (like the Darwin project, WebKit, etc.) and they also make podcasts, University lectures, etc. available for free through the iTunes Store. I haven't given up hope yet...
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Most of that stuff is all in the name of getting people to switch to the Mac platform -- and getting existing Mac users to stick with the platform, so it is financially reasonable for them to do stuff like that free of charge. On the other hand, iPods are already king of the mountain, so there's really not a whole lot of incentive for them to release anything (other than firmware updates) for free. They know they've got a pretty captive audience.
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah, but the SDK apps will be probably censored by Apple, so all we get iis brilliant apps like "Starbucks Locator"
  8. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh come on - I can get podcasts on iTunes for Windows too. Nothing about podcasts in iTunes has anything to do with getting new users to the Mac platform... That's just spreading FUD... No offense, but I'm calling "bullsh*t" on that...

Now the captive audience, I'll give you that... Like I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they won't be all Evil Empire (<cough>Microsoft<cough>) about it...
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Oh, I give big points to Apple for being a hell of a lot better on the customer service angle than Microsoft -- or anyone else for that matter. My own personal dealings with Apple have probably been the best customer service I've ever received in my life. I actually liked dealing with Apple Care, despite the 45-minute wait to speak to someone and the usual rat maze they run you through to troubleshoot. I'm not a Mac person, but if I ever considered switching platforms, that alone is a huge selling point.

And that is kind of my point. Don't mistake the top shelf customer service for altruism. They want the whole Customer Experience to be pleasant, easy and as painless as possible. That is the Apple Way, and it is the Apple Way because it sells. It creates converts, and it's very good at it. Even I began to think just a little more seriously about getting a Mac, despite never having done so before, despite the fact that the Mac still isn't the platform I need. Yes, even Apple's podcasts are part of that whole Experience. It's about creating a whole environment in which current and potential users can immerse themselves and feel welcomed and comfortable and taken care of and kept in the loop.

It is, in other words, very good marketing, and it's the majority of why Apple is where it is today, dominating the North American DAP/PMP markets and actually rising to some significant prominence in the home PC market as well.

It isn't that they have a big heart and want to give users everything they want. It's that they know that appearing that way, however true it is or isn't, sells.
  10. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Course - they're a business like any other... and Steve J. is all about the hippy-dippy touchy feeling stuff... so yeah, I've got to give you that. I'm just hoping they do the right thing and leave an opening for free/open-source to get in there. Obviously, NES, gsPhone, PsX, etc. are SOL in that regard since they break copyrights, but things like VNsea or iPhysics would be great coming through an SDK where everyone could get them for free... <sigh> I guess I can dream...