1.2 Apps on earlier firmwares?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Anonymouslyanonymous, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was just wondering, since the SDK comes with the iphone emulator and also comes with some apps. Could we find the folder where the apps are stored and copy it into our touch through Putty, iPhonebrowser and set permissions.

This way we could use the new improved apps like calculator on our current firmwares. Just a thought... Anyone kind enough to pm the link to the revised apps included in the SDK (since many do not want to download the 2.1GB just for the apps)?
  2. jujubeanie21

jujubeanie21 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd like to second that, I'm really interested in the calculator. I have math twice a day and I don't want to carry around a calculator just to do the square root or something.
  3. Sickly_slick

Sickly_slick New Member

MACalc in installers provides scientific calculations
    better looking + more functions
  4. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

It also uses RPN.
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

1. Apps are built for Intel Processor, not ARM (iPod touch). They won't work.
    2. The 2.0 Apps in the file are missing all core files. They don't work.
    3. Yeah, the only apps that come with it that actually work on any architecture at all are Photos, Camera, Settings, and Safari. There are nearly no changes, but Settings does have new Parental Controls and what not.
  6. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    if you look at engadget's pics of 1.2 they clearly had stuff typed into the calculator...
  7. spoonforknife

I realize that. He appears to be talking about the apps included in the SDK/Aspen Emulator.

Notice how it says iPhone Emulator comes with some apps. He's referring to those. Those apps are incomplete or are written for an entirely different architecture.

See above. The apps won't work.
  8. ipodtouchlover

ipodtouchlover New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i hope there is a way to add the apps to my firmware 1.1.4 im going to try this
  9. spoonforknife

I'm going to say this one last time for anybody that is listening.

The apps on the emulator WILL NOT AND CANNOT work on your iPod touch. They are built for an entirely different processor.

The 2.0 apps found in the emulator files WILL NOT AND CANNOT work because the applications have all of the core files removed, with the exception of the binary on it. The binary still cannot function without the required resources!

Look at this thread. He seriously screwed up his iPod trying to do this.
    1 person likes this.
  10. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    okk i get it now. my thinking was to ask (verrrrrrry nicely) of those swell folks who have already jailbroken the next firmware to kindly upload their calculator app haha.