1.1.5 help request

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Qarg, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Qarg

Qarg New Member

Hi, I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff. I got a touch a while back and hardly used it, then heard about jailbreaking and wanted to try it out. I tried to get it going, but for some reason, it wont allow me to upgrade my firmware!

I have 1.1.5 and downloaded new firmwares from xxx so that I could move up to the latest version. Seems reasonable! So I downloaded 3.1.3 or whatever the last one was for a 1G itouch. I went to install it and it made me update itunes. So i updated itunes, restarted, and and tried again. I did the shift click on the update button to find the file i wanted to use, and selected the firmware i downloaded. I tried to update the thing and it seemed to get pretty far, then it came up with this error message and said I need to restore my ipod to use it with itunes. So i restored it, and tried again. same thing. I switch over to another firmware to see if updating it incrementally would solve the problem, and it just made what seems to be the same error, and made me restore my ipod? I've tried 3.1.3, 2.0.2, and 2.2.1 and they all just mess up and force me to restore my ipod. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and have any guidance for a poor newb like me? I'd appreciate it a lot! Thanks!
  2. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I heard people were having problems updaying from really old firmawares ill try to find the thread with the info give me a sec
  3. JailBreaker

JailBreaker Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah i heard that to. But why not just click the update button?
  4. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok:

1. Delete that firmware link as it breaks forums rules in piracy
    2. You are downloading firmware for free that you have to pay for, which is also piracy.
    3. It might help if you bought the firmware, that *might* solve your problem. Click on update in iTunes.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Btw... Ur not really restoring ur updating so that might be part of the prob. When u connect ur iPod click update. Then update it to whatever firmware comes up.
  5. Qarg

Qarg New Member

lets say i downloaded legit copies of the firmware (cuz i really did for reel and paid apple and everything) and now the firmware i got just isnt working. what did i do wrong and how can i fix it?

ps thanks for telling me. i didnt realize what constituted what as i am ultar newb.
  6. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Np, just remember to read the rules before posting

Please Register or Log in to view images

anyway, if you *did* buy them I'm not really sure what to do. Try clicking update in iTunes instead if restore.
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Regardless if how new you are, you should read the rules.

Now continue.
  8. Qarg

Qarg New Member

i did click updayte. but it goes through the update and things look good, then the error pops up and says i NEED to restore. only then do i restore. before then i didnt try to restore anything. thanks for teh help.
  9. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Odd... Have you tried a DFU restore? This will more than likely fix your problem. This will erase everything on your iPod, so be sure to backup your iPod. Then, search the forums for "DFU restore" or something similar.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ... And then update

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You cant buy the firmware he needs to update to each one one level at a time, someone had to do this before from 1.0 and im trying to find what they did