1.1.3 jailbreak not necessary at all?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Jailbreak' started by detlefs, Jan 16, 2008.

1. detlefs

detlefs New Member

With the SDK coming up, why would we need to jailbreak? We should be able to get native apps the "official" way. The developers will probably only need to adapt their apps to be installed the way the SDK defines...
  2. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If only it were that simple. Im sure every app needs some sort of verifacation from the developerthen it will be put in the itunes store....then you will most likley have to BUY it. It they made us pay 20$ for apps we should have already had, why not apps that are new to us?
  3. drakie

drakie New Member

Completely agree here, at the end of the day, why are developers going to release "official" apps for free when they are well within there rights to charge for them, and so that is why there will still be need for a jailbreak, because people wont pay for the apps, or atleast wont anyway, rather just jailbreak

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. hardaysknight

hardaysknight New Member

i posted almost that exact same thing in the apple official forums a few weeks ago and they all laughed in my face HOWEVER, that is exactly whats gonna happen
  5. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

Well, i guess the two options are to either go legit now, bite the bullet, and hope some devs out there aren't out for money, or, stick with the jailbreak, wait it out, and see if the sdk is really all we hope it will be. I'll choose the latter.

6. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    All i want is an aim app that closley resembles the SMS app and ill be a happy camper. Don't really care if it costs money because it would be worth it. I tried mobilechat and apollo and theyd crash.
  7. wowipod

wowipod New Member

Same I jailbroke my ipod installed apollo worked for 5 mins and then crashed, I want somesort of Im app so I don't have to be at my computer to Im people.

By the way if the they release the SDk whats to stop them releasing installer app the legit way? Apple?
  8. bindle

bindle Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    at first i was thinking the same thing - the upcoming SDK means we won't need installer.app anymore and everything will be lovely...but all this shady charging for applications makes me think apple may be eluding to something...

hopefully the scenario ends up cost free and like the OP stated.
  9. Gottaa

Gottaa New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think all this is the perfect example of closed software development vs. open software development.

How many large companies have moved there servers to Linux, how many moved there DB's to MySQL, how many use open source apps and tools for there websites. Pay many thousand for a DB engine or use a free one, tough choice, and if companies feel they can trust these solutions why should home users feel different ? Ahhh yes, for the "support", which I don't quite understand as I've always found much better support from an open source community compared to a company such as MS, or Apple (Hey I may love the products apple make but there support sucks). So to me that moves it to pay, get poor support, or use free and get better support ... Hmmm not a tough choice.

With my iPod I can do everything that I would want from 1.1.3 except the way you move icons, but I wouldn't want to lose all the other bits I get + the fact it's free, given I can achieve what I want in Customize it just isn't quite as slick.

The best addon I've got of late was WiFiToggle as I'm keen on that battery lasting as long as it can, such a simple thing (now with a nicer message

), simple and the developer did it because he found it useful and thought others might.

Do you need to jailbreak a iPod touch to get the most from it ? I think the answer is still yes, and that won't change with the SDK unless perhaps your a millionare and are happy to pay to try something out and see if you actually like it.