1.1.3 google maps locate

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by mossme89, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mossme89

mossme89 Member

Does the new feature in 1.1.3, locate in google maps work on the touch, or is it like navizon, where it sucks?
  2. MrNase

MrNase New Member

Alright, Steve explained it in the Keynote:

Whenever you come across a Wi-Fi Hotspot, even when you don't connect to it, you get information from it.
    Google, I think it was Google, has collected information about thousands of hotspots and so the iPod touch is able to give you your approximate location.

Please Register or Log in to view images

That might work out well in areas where there are many hotspots but it should be difficult for example here in Germany because there are not many free and open hotspots where I live.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. NUCLEaR

NUCLEaR New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    navizon worked fine for me.
  4. mossme89

mossme89 Member

wait, do i have to connect to the network, because I took a walk yesterday and it wouldn't locate me (yes I bought it). but it seems like you are saying that it will work at most hotspots and AP's. So do i have to connect to an access point for the locate me function to work, or could I just be passing by?
  5. opera

opera New Member

I think it works without getting connected, but that would mean that the map of the area where you are should he cached in your iPod previousl.
  6. mossme89

mossme89 Member

so it would locate me, but the map won't show the satilite images of the area?
  7. opera

opera New Member

I'm guessing here, but I think that would be the case. If you use the maps app without connection it will still work, but the areas that are not cached are not shown (obviously).

EDIT: OK, I realized that what I said makes no sense, because the iPod has to check an online database so that it can know where it is, and it can't do that without beeing connected.
  8. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I like it, it located EXACTLY were i live which was weird.
  9. aaquib

aaquib Banned

Works MUCH better than Navizon. Not only does it support more areas, but it has a better range, as well as is always free. No limited trial period. For Navizon, I was never able to use it unless I was right beside the window in my room. No where else in the house worked. And, when it found it, it was about 2 streets down. When I use the Google Maps My Location feature, it puts a circle right on top of my house. And it's so cool how I can actually see my house! It's an awesome feature, and works flawlessly for me.
  10. mossme89

mossme89 Member

do you need to be connected to the wifi, or just passing by it?