1.1.3 errors are becoming perfunctory

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by kevipapo1, Feb 10, 2008.

1. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

Hello,

I've been using 1.1.3 JB for quite a while now. First it was the Nate True jailbreak, then I learned about SummerBoard, so off to jailbreak using the DevTeam method. Now, SummerBoard screws me up somehow, and I get the spinning ring of death.

Along with having to fix permissions with iPhysics levelpacks, create symlinks from here to there, and all the other issues that come with using 1.1.3 JB, I'm starting to find it difficult to get everything working perfectly. Yes, I know none of this is perfect, but still, this is getting a bit out of hand.

I hope some of you agree with me on this

Please Register or Log in to view images

-kevipapo1
  2. tootricky

tootricky New Member

Yes, its a mess, I downgraded to 1.1.2 because I want stuff to work!
  3. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

I'm going to stick with 1.1.3, using the Nate True method. Who needs theme Customizations anyway? It was the best method I used. It automatically set 755 permissions to iPhysics levelpacks and such. The only bad thing is that SummerBoard doesn't work, but there's always iSwitcher, if I really need to.

You stick with 1.1.2. You're smart enough to realize that 1.1.3 isn't worth the hassle

4. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nate True's method is bad. Why? You know that with 1.1.3 root changed to mobile, right?
    Yeah... True's method doesn't use that.. So if the SDK apps arrive it won't work.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

A little bit of yes, and a little bit of no. Nate True's method is indeed bad. That is why he is trying to figure out how to make a seamless conversion to make his function like the Dev Team's Soft Upgrade.

From my understanding, the reason why it fails has to do with the way that he patches things. Not that I know any better, but that is what I heard from the Dev Team.

Also of note, and you touched on this, is the fact that Nate True's version creates a lot of symlinks. And while that won't prevent the Apps created with the SDK from being installed, it will give them access to things that only the root user should have access to. This could eventually breed problems later on down the line, as iPods and iPhones that use Nate True's Soft Upgrade are not nearly as secure as an iPod set up with the standard file system. It's important to note that the Dec Team's Soft Upgrade leaves the 1.1.3 file system intact.

The reason you have to do things such as fix permissions, is because you are now NOT running as root. That's good in almost all cases. It is better to grant apps root access an permission on a per app basis, as opposed to an all encompassing method. You should get used to this, as all major Operating Systems are now set up for multi user by defalt.

Another reason for getting used to this and learning (what, three (chmod, chown, and ln)?) UNIX commands is because this is how all iPod Touches and iPhones will operate in the future.

Anyway, now that I've bored you, I'll be quiet,
    Skylar
  6. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Skylar is awesome. Thank you, now I understand it better.
    I'll just link to your post, that explaines it perfectly

7. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

Ok. Well, the jailbreak I did was the DevTeam jailbreak, the one that worked the best a long time back

I had no idea. When I mentioned Symlinks I was just speaking about the root to mobile stuff, such as the Media and Library folders. That's definitely an issue that should be resolved.

So since apps aren't in root they can't run those commands that root-level things can? Well that's a bummer!

Yes, that's the three. I can't really tell what the diference is between chmod and chown is, except that they change permissions, and ln is for making symlinks (ln -s if my memory isn't failing me).

Quite the opposite, my friend

Now that I know why Nate True has issues, one last question, then I'm off to write a script to do this all on it's own: Is it safe to set permissions 755 to all files on the iPod Touch? I'm talking about everything, starting from root.
  8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

That's a bad idea. You'll break a lot of things that need higher permissions to run (SummerBoard, Installer, SpringBoard, who knows which services, and lots of other less important things such as Customize).
  9. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

Ok, would you suggest just setting 755 to everything in /var/root/Media and /var/root/Library? I have those folders symlink'd to the ones in mobile BTW.