1.1.2 Unstable w/ Third Party Apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AutoItKing, Nov 26, 2007.

1. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

I've noticed that recently my iPod has become very unstable on 1.1.2. Many applications crash at random moments in time. I suppose this is just a warning. Beware!
  2. FlashiPod4Free

FlashiPod4Free New Member

They're working fine on my iPod Touch. Maybe you added too many Apps? I just use like 2 or three Apps.. rarely.
  3. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Are you using SummerBoard?

I've noticed the same instability since I installed it, and checking the allocated memory seems to indicate that SpringBoard has more memory leaks with SummerBoard.

It's just a hunch though, it could be SpringBoard alone or even the applications. But if I start a ssh session and use top to monitor the processes, I see that launching and stopping applications repeatedly (even "native" ones like Settings, Calendar) makes SpringBoard swell until it has to restart. When SummerBoard is uninstalled, it doesn't happen so easily.

Could someone else confirm this?
  4. fitch

fitch New Member

My iPod Touch can't play YouTube even i downloaded YouTube Activation. I am using 1.1.1? Do I need to update to 1.1.2
  5. STASH459

STASH459 New Member

i was having the same problem but i guess when u install many apps it just happen!!so don't worrie is no big deal what the worst that could happend!!! remember just restore if anything right!!..on my 1.1.1. still untill i feel to upgrade...peace
  6. ojx

ojx Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    i have 1.1.2 with at least 15+apps installed with summerboard on it and it hasn't crashed on me since i've done it
  7. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Maybe its dock? I just don't know. I'll try getting rid of apps and then SMB, and then ill restore back to a clean 1.1.2. Of course ill be doing it on my replacement iPod. Later.
  8. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

I can't confirm confirm, but I can say that all you sat makes sense to me. The iPod does exactly what you mention. Now I get it! If it crashes one time, it becomes really unstable. A memory leak just perfectly explains what seems to happen! I second what you say.
  9. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I made some more systematic tests, and can confirm every time an application starts it causes an increase in the shared memory, which doesn't happen without SummerBoard installed. After a while of course, it causes a crash of SpringBoard which then restarts.

Switching off the Dim Wallpaper option of SMB solved the problem, apparently. In my case anyway. I simply edited the wallpaper, lowered its brightness and contrast, put it back on the iPod and voilĂ 

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now, maybe it also depends on other parameters. In any case, I hope it works for you too. BTW, my version is 3.0b1, on an 1.1.2 IPoT.
  10. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well...Does anyone have any solutions if a firmware 1.1.1 iPod Touch is crashing...It's not THAT often but I do get apps that crash and sometimes the iPod even freezes for a couple seconds...I also heard that I shouldn't update to 1.1.2 because my iPod will be bricked...I have no idea how this guy came to the conclusion...But now I sort've don't want to go near 1.1.2...