Apple has confirmed that Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old Chinese woman living in the Xinjiang region, was killed last Thursday after being electrocuted while charging her iPhone 5.
It is reported that Ailun, who was a flight attendant for China Southern Airlines, was using a standard Apple charger and not a third-party product.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” Apple said in an email obtained by Reuters.
The news was first shared by Ailun’s older sister on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo, and quickly went viral on the Twitter-like social network. Exact details surrounding the incident remain unknown at this point, including whether or not this is an isolated occurrence.