Talk about a nightmare.
Reddit user vizionx1208 details a scary situation in which his Galaxy S III exploded while he was sleeping, presumably as a result of the lithium-ion battery overcharging. The user claims that everything about the smartphone was stock, including its battery and charger, and that it was not rooted. This is how the events unfolded, edited for clarity.
Last night at about 3:15am EST, about 1 hour after I plugged it in and went to sleep, I was awoken by a loud noise and a weird squeaking sound. (I charge my phone while I’m sleeping on my bed right next to me). So, I woke up, and saw a ton of smoke coming out of my phone — it also smelled REALLY bad. Half asleep, I jumped out of bed and turned the light on, only to see that my phone was just beginning to go on fire. I dumped a glass of water I had in the room on it to stop it from burning, then woke up my brother to come help. The smoke smelled so bad and wafted through the entire second floor of my house.
The unlucky individual, whose bed and little finger also suffered burns, has since been in contact with Samsung representatives, and has sent the Galaxy S III to the company for internal examination by engineers. He adds that Samsung has been diligent and transparent in their communications with him, and hopes that the company will do the right thing to resolve his predicament. Hopefully a new mattress and Galaxy S4 at the minimum.
On a related note, lithium-ion battery explosions can be quite dangerous: