Last week we reported on Tiny Wings 2, but today we have an arguably much more anticipated sequel to tell you about — Fieldrunners 2. Subatomic Studios’ game Fieldrunners, which released October 5th, 2008, was a huge hit in the newly born App store and has long been regarded as one of the best tower defense games available. Almost four years later, Fieldrunners 2 lives up to the legacy of the original and has become everything a respectable sequel should be. The game features the core mechanics that made Fieldrunners so great, but has also added some major new features that keep the gameplay fresh and engaging.
Those of you who have long been apart of the iOS community may remember playing the original version of Fieldrunners, which has now gone on to be available on iPad, Android, Steam, Nintendo DSi, Sony PSP, Google Chrome, and even Blackberry. Many would argue that the game started what has now become an important genre of the App store, and it appears that today Fieldrunners is going back its roots. There is no word on an “HD” iPad version yet, but Fieldrunners 2 is now available for iPhone and iPod touch in its pilot platform, the App store, for $2.99. Read on for the list of key new features.
- 25 unique, hand painted levels spanning 4 distinct zones across Fieldrunners Island
- Over 20 weapons to choose from at the start of each level
- Face waves of fieldrunners that navigate the battlefield with unparalleled realistic swarming behavior
- Multi-storied maps route enemies over bridges, under tunnels, and into trenches
- Revolutionary “Hybrid Maps” combine the fun of designing mazes with the challenges of fixed path layouts
- Sudden Death maps pit players against never ending hordes of enemies in an all new, action packed levels
- Puzzle Maps are bonus levels that put players’ understanding of enemy behaviors to the test
- Over 30 different enemy types, including elite enemy units with special attacks and rewards
- Powerful items allow players to perform precision based attacks like never before