Twitter’s iPhone and Android apps have just received a major update that brings them to version 4.3 and 3.3, respectively. The biggest new feature is expanded Tweets, which were recently introduced to the web version of Twitter. They bring an entirely new experience to the mobile apps and it’s Twitter’s hope that you can glean more information from a 140-character Tweet from its official app instead of going to the web browser. Instead of having to tap a link to see the content, you’ll get a quick preview of it.
Sadly, I was not able to get this new feature to work as Twitter hasn’t rolled it out to all devices just yet. This is a bit disappointing, but it’s what Twitter usually does and it shouldn’t take them more than a few days to get things out to everyone. This update also includes some other interesting changes like individual push notifications and more non-interruptive ones, performance enhancements, the new Twitter bird throughout the user interface, and more.
You can check out the full list of changes in this new version of Twitter for iPhone below. Please note that the iPad version has not received an update of any kind — not even bug fixes. Twitter may be neglecting its Mac and iPad apps, but it keeps the iPhone one very up-to-date for the more mobile crowd. Hopefully they’ll take care of the missing apps soon. Still, even in the light of this major new expanded Tweets feature, I’m not compelled to use this app as an alternative to Tweetbot because it doesn’t have streaming. I’m actually very surprised that Twitter’s app, of all, would not include this.
- Expanded Tweets: when you view Tweet details containing links to partner websites, you can now see content previews, view images, play videos and more [please note: this feature is rolling out gradually]
- Enhanced experience around selected events with the best Tweets and photos from those involved
- Push notifications for Tweets: choose to receive notifications from people you follow anytime they tweet or retweet
- Ambient notifications: enables you to see brief non-interruptive notifications in the status bar while you are using the app
- Improvements to search autocomplete for users
- Discover: now indicates when new stories are available for you to view
- Tappable avatars that take you directly to user profiles
- Performance improvements
- Support for password entry in app when experiencing authentication issues
- Hungarian language support
- Updated with new Twitter bird
- Many other tweaks, polish, and bug and crasher fixes