Much of the legal spotlight has been placed on Apple’s battle with arch-rival Samsung, but the Cupertino-based company has also been involved in patent litigation with Motorola Mobility for several months. That is, until now, according to Bloomberg.
U.S. Judge Richard A. Posner in Chicago today rejected each side’s damages claims at what was to be the last hearing before a June 11 trial. Posner later said he wouldn’t hold a hearing on Apple’s request for an order blocking alleged Motorola Mobility infringement.
“I have tentatively decided that the case should be dismissed with prejudice because neither party can establish a right to relief,” Posner said in a two-page written order, adding that he would delay entering final judgment until he writes a lengthier decision. “I may change my mind.”
The legal battle between Apple and Motorola is seemingly over, at least for the near future. The patent trial that had been scheduled for June 11 would have been the first time Apple sued Motorola Mobility since the firm was acquired by Google earlier this year.