Best Buy Sells Nearly as Many iPhones as Apple

According to a survey of people who purchased an iPhone during December 2011 and February 2012, big box electronics retailer Best Buy sells nearly as many iPhones as Apple does. During the three month period, thirteen-percent of respondents purchased the iPhone at Best Buy — be it online or in-store — while fifteen-percent of customers bought their iPhone through Apple…

“Apple Stores and the Apple Web site are tremendously productive, but they are limited by their relatively small retail footprint,” CIRP’s Josh Lowitz told AllThingsD. “There are four times as many Best Buy stores, and probably 20 times as many AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint stores, so aggressive distribution through all these channels is critical to Apple’s U.S. strategy.”

Additionally, Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) found that, of the users who purchased an iPhone, 76% of customers bought their iPhone from a retail store, while the remaining 24% went the online checkout route. AT&T was the most common carrier choice at 32%, while Verizon (30%) and Sprint (7%) trailed behind as the second- and third-place mobile providers respectively.

[AllThingsD via Cult of Mac]

Post a response / What do you think?