When Paul Hontz of The Startup Foundry updated his iPhone 4S to the latest iOS version, he realized that there was a bug preventing his phone from remembering any of his contacts. While the names and numbers in his address book still appeared in the Contacts app, the iPhone 4S would not recognize any contacts when sending or receiving phone calls or text messages.
Many of Hontz’s followers on Twitter have reported this same issue, which appears to be isolated to iPhone 4S users who use the Verizon network and upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 using Apple’s new over-the-air software upgrade. For those experiencing this bug, a partial fix can be found after the break.
1) Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
2) When the system answer press 1 for “Program or activate your phone”
3) Wait for the call to disconnect. You should get a prompt stating something like, “Settings updated.”
4) Open the Task Manager (double click the home button) and kill the Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications
5) Wait a few minutes (I waited 3 just to be extra safe)
6) Open the Message App to verify the fix.