On a small touchscreen, your fingers take up a ton of valuable screen real estate and can majorly obscure your view when trying to play games. 3rd party controllers and accessories are available to give you extra precision, but most are expensive and can feel unfamiliar when compared to standard console controllers. Luckily for mobile gamers out there, Sixaxis Controller for rooted Android devices allows you to connect a PS3 DualShock 3 controller to your Android device via bluetooth for maximum playability.
Note that Sixaxis Controller only works on rooted Android devices that have a specific bluetooth stack, so run the compatibility checker before you purchase. Cyanogenmod ROMs have the needed bits by default, so consider flashing if your phone doesn’t support the app by default.
- Download and install the application from the Android Market. It is highly recommended that you first download the ‘Sixaxis Compatibility Checker’ app to make sure your phone is compatible before purchasing the full application.
- Tap the ‘start’ button and wait for bluetooth to initiate. If you get an ‘Error: Missing required protocol’ message, your device is not supported.
- If not already done, you must manually pair the controller with your phone. This can be done using ‘SixaxisPairTool’, or with ‘MotionInJoy’ or the linux utility ‘sixpair’. Your phones bluetooth address should be shown at the bottom of the main application window and will look something like 1A:3C:13:00:21:C2; you need to enter this number into the ‘SixaxisPairTool’ as shown. This process only needs to be done the first time a controller is used on a different device, so if you only use the controller on one phone, you will only need to do it once.
- Once paired, unplug the USB cable and press the power button on the controller. If successful, the lights on the controller will stop blinking and a single light will remain on.
- If you are running the compatibility checker, and pressing buttons on the controller results in button presses showing up in the app, congratulations, you can now download the full app.
- Tap the ‘Change Input Method’ button and select ‘Sixaxis Controller’. You should now be able to use the controller in any games or applications that support key bindings, such as many emulators.
- Subsequent controllers can be added at any time by pressing their power buttons.
- You can change the fallback input method and key mappings in the applications settings.