So the new iOS 5 beta is out, and for whatever reason, you want to skip the activation step and start using the device. This is not quite a jailbreak yet, but it will let you use iOS 5 beta without activating with Apple.
Warning: This has only been confirmed to work on the 4th generation iPod touch, and has been confirmed NOT to work on the iPad 2. On devices with a cellular modem, this may permanently upgrade your baseband, and will also prevent activation with your carrier (since you are bypassing it).
Our user ipodsjor has outlined these steps:
- Step 1: Restore to the iOS5 Beta using iTunes.
- Step 2: On the setup screen, push the home button 3 time until VoiceOver activates.
- Step 3: Hold the time on the status bar.
- Step 4: Drag down the screen with 3 fingers.
- Step 5: Tap twice on the Y!
- Step 6: Push the home button.
- Optional: Disable VoiceOver and thank ipodsjor.
Edit 1: Just for the record, ipodsjor posted this at 1:20 PM Pacific time, close to an hour before competing publications.