When will the iPad 2 be available for purchase?
The iPad 2 will be available on March 11th, 2011 in the United States and on March 25th in Canada. The majority of other countries, including the United Kingdom and Australia, have “notify me” mailing lists instead of a specific date.
How much will the iPad 2 cost?
The iPad 2 will debut at the same price as the original iPad, which is $499 USD. The original iPad has been slashed to a starting price of just $399 USD.
What key differences does the iPad 2 have over its predecessor?
- Back- and front-facing cameras
(Original iPad: No cameras)
- 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 processor
(Original iPad: 1GHz Apple A4 processor)
- Lighter (Wi-Fi model: 601g) and 33% thinner (8.8mm)
(Original iPad: 680g, 13.4mm)
- 3-axis gyroscope
(Original iPad: No gyroscope.)
- Much better graphics card, up to 9x faster
- A new and improved speaker design
- iPad 2 is available in white alongside the original black color
What stayed consistent (unchanged)?
- Display: 9.7-inch, LED-backlit IPS LCD
- Resolution: 1024 x 768
- Storage Capacities: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
- No USB ports
- No SD card reader slots
- 10 hours of battery life
- There is no Thunderbolt port
Other notable additions:
- iMovie and GarageBand for iPad to be released on March 11th ($4.99 USD each)
- iOS 4.3 update will also be available on March 11th
- There was no mention of iOS 5 at the iPad 2 keynote
- Apple announces their “Smart Covers” casing solution for the iPad 2